How to Travel with Two Passports

We have received so many questions on how to travel with two passports that we created an eBook! If you’d like more detail in addition to what we provide on this page, check out the book:


So first things first, in order to travel with two passports, you actually need to have two (or more) passports.  There are a few ways this can happen.  This is definitely the coolest…

But assuming you aren’t a secret agent government assassin like Jason Bourne, you may have to go through other channels to acquire that second passport.

So How Do You Get Two Passports?

  • Dual Citizenship by Acquisition – The most common way to have a second passport is if you are a citizen of two different countries at the same time.  Mostly this covers individuals that started out their lives in one country and then for various circumstances moved to another eventually acquiring their new country’s citizenship without giving up their original.
  • Dual Citizenship by Birthright – Alternatively you could have dual citizenship through birthright.  Let’s say for example your parents or grandparents came from another country and because of that country’s laws, you qualify for citizenship there as well.  This can all get very complicated, but you see it a lot with people of Italian, Irish or other European descent.
  • Additional US Passport – A third option is to actually get a duplicate US passport which is possible by special request.  You just need a reason to justify having two simultaneous passports and the State Department will issue you an additional two year book.  Obviously having two of the same passport doesn’t give you all the benefits of having two passports from different countries, but it still has its perks.  USAItaly

Benefits of Having Two Passports

  • Visa Issuance: For frequent travelers, having to send your passport away to issue a visa can be a problem if you need to travel during the same time-frame.  Having two passports (of the same or different countries) solves this by letting you send one passport away while you continue to travel on the other.
  • Country Conflicts: Not all countries get along.  Some don’t recognize others existence and some take it so far that if they see a stamp in your passport they don’t like they may not let you in.  Let’s say for example you visit Israel and then later on the same passport you need to visit Lebanon.  Lebanon is not going to let you in because of that Israeli stamp but a second passport provides a clean slate and no questions asked.  Remember: although the country that issued your passport may be able to see your travel history, other countries for the most part, cannot.
  • Visa Requirements: Every country’s passport brings with it different entry requirements as you travel around the world.  Having two passports from different countries lets you choose which passport is the most beneficial to use at any given time.  Because each citizenship is absolute, you never need to present yourself as a dual citizen but instead whichever you prefer at the time (there is an important exception to this which I will get into later). For example, Chandra and I are both US citizens but I’m also an Italian citizen so last year when we went to Brazil Chandra had to go to the Brazilian Consulate and get a $140 visa but I just opted to travel on my Italian passport which has no visa requirement for Brazil and I entered for free.
  • Reciprocity Fees: Some countries may not require you to have a visa, but may charge you a “recriprocity fee” to make up for what your country charges their citizens when they enter.  Americans feel the effects of these fees the worst and mostly in South America.  US passport holder?  A visit to Bolivia will cost you $140, Paraguay $65 and Argentina $160, just to name a few.  Got another passport?  Use it instead!
  • Immigration Lines: Definitely the most trivial of the benefits, but most countries make it far easier for their citizens to enter than foreigners.  Have an EU passport?  Enjoy a shorter line in all 28 European Union countries.
  • Citizenship Rights:  Obviously a passport denotes much more than just travel benefits.  As a citizen of a country there are endless benefits such as right of abode, work permission, land ownership, possibly healthcare and even education.  But it also gives you the rights of that country while traveling.  For example let’s say you’re abroad and shit goes down.  Thanks to your second passport, now you can beg for help at two different embassies!
  • Avoiding Controversy: Sometimes governments don’t make the best decisions.  Sometimes you may want to avoid a potential security risk.  Sometimes, in movies, the terrorists separate all the Americans and let everyone else go.  Sometimes it’s good to have two passports.

Long lines at immigration. Photo copyright Daily Mail

When to Use Which Passport

So I mentioned earlier that since citizenship is absolute, you can decide which passport to use based on which is better for you given the circumstances.  But there is a definite exception to this.  You must always present yourself to authorities of your country as a citizen of that country.  This is very important.  You can’t commit a crime in your home country and then flee to your other country’s embassy.  You can’t enter your home country using your passport from another country.  Doing these things will have serious legal consequences so here are some important procedures to remember should you have two different citizenships.

  • When traveling internationally, you must use a single passport for each leg of a trip. You can’t switch mid-stream.  Meaning, you can’t check into a flight in New York using your American passport and then enter Brazil using your Italian passport.  This will cause problems because the airline records the identities and citizenships of everyone on the flight. Your information won’t line up.
  • It is especially important to always enter your home country using that country’s passport.  Let’s say you have two passports and you are returning home to the USA after a trip abroad.  For some reason you decide to enter the US using your Italian passport.  Now you are in the US as a visitor and granted a temporary entry visa. After three months, that visa will expire and you will technically be in the United States illegally, even though you are also a US citizen.  Avoid messes like this. Use the proper passport from check-in all the way through to immigration.
  • It’s a good idea to always travel with both of your passports no matter where you are going.  You never know what may happen.  A friend of mine, unaware of how things work, recently traveled to Argentina using his Israeli passport and left his US passport at home.  When trying to board his flight back to the US from Buenos Aires he was denied boarding because he didn’t’ have a valid visa to enter the US.  Even though he is a US citizen, he didn’t have his US passport and was out of luck.  He ended up having to fly to Canada and have a family member drive his US passport across the border to Montreal so that he could reenter the USA.  Don’t do that.

Follow the rules, you don’t want to end up here. Photo copyright The Guardian

Things to Keep in Mind

  • Unlike Jason Bourne, you are not a secret agent.  You  may think that because you have two passports it’s like you are two different people.  But in reality most intelligence agencies will verify a passport not just on name and nationality, but on name, birthday and other info they always ask for when entering another country.  The bottom line is that if the government wanted to figure out if American you and Italian you was the same person, it would be pretty easy.  Don’t pull any funny business.
  • Follow the rules on when to use which passport and make sure you always present yourself as a citizen of the proper country to immigration and other officials.
  • Never leave your home country without your home country passport.  And never enter your own home country without using its passport!
  • Any questions?  Want a personal consultation? Check out our eBook!AnytimeVisa

Please note that for simplicity sake many of the statements I make in this post are very US-centric and also overly simplified.  In truth, acquiring secondary citizenship can be very complex and each country will present new challenges in how you then must interact with the world.  Be sure to do the research pursuant to your specific situation.


Like it? Share it!
Share on Facebook0Tweet about this on TwitterShare on StumbleUpon0Buffer this pageEmail this to someonePin on Pinterest5

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

359 Responses to “How to Travel with Two Passports”

  1. Lily
    November 30, 2013 at 7:04 pm #

    hi Dave,
    I have a queston regarding this. I have just left Brazil on a tourist visa using my british passport. I overstayed my tourist visa and have to pay a fine upon returning to brazil next time i arrive. This itself isn`t a problem. I have been told that using my british passport, i now have to wait up to 260 days to return to Brazil.

    I want to return to Brazil sooner as my partner is there. If I get the necessary visa from my hometown of Australia can i travel to brazil on my Australian visa and enter without a problem? or will i have problems due to my british passport having used up the allocated time for one year?

    Many thanks

    • David DiGregorio
      November 30, 2013 at 8:01 pm #

      Hi Lily – This is a tricky situation. Have you ever used your Aussie passport to enter Brazil before? Have you ever declared to Brazil that you have dual citizenship or that you are also Australian? Technically speaking, having two passports doesn’t make you two different people. You overstayed your visit in Brazil, not your passport. So the restrictions they have placed on you would apply to you regardless of which passport you use. In reality however, I would highly doubt that upon entry with a valid tourist visa in your other passport you’d have any problem. I would say definitely apply for the visa and if they give it to you, you should be okay. There’s a chance they will deny it on the grounds that you overstayed your visit on the other passport. Also they may ask on the visa application when the last time you were in Brazil was and if you’ve ever overstayed in the past. I would not suggest lying on these sort of questions. I say fell it out and if you can get the visa approved, you’ll probably be okay.

      • lil11
        December 3, 2013 at 11:03 am #

        Hi Dave, no never used my australian passport to enter Brazil. I really only ever use my british to travel and my australian to exit, enter australia.

        the sydney brazilian consulate said that i couldnt do it, the larger more official canberra consulate here in our capital city wrote back and said it isn`t a problem although the Brazilian federal police might nt let me in the country.

        It`s so confusing and i can`t find anyone else who has done it sudccessfully or unsuccessfully online.

        • David DiGregorio
          December 9, 2013 at 9:02 pm #

          I guess see if the Embassy in Canberra will issue you the visa as a first step.

          • Julien
            January 15, 2014 at 5:16 am #

            I intend to travel in the US for tourism from Israel.

            I leave in Israel and have an I have an Israeli passport.

            I have also a French passport.

            I want to use the French passport to enter the US.

            Indeed, I can get easily a travel authorization with it,
            otherwise with the Israeli passport I need to apply for a visa (more complicated/expensive).

            I have a different family name on my French and Israeli
            passport (I changed my family name when I immigrated to Israel).

            How can I do?
            Which name shall I use to book the flight ticket?

          • David DiGregorio
            January 15, 2014 at 10:22 am #

            You should book the ticket using your French passport and name and travel to the US using the French/US visa waiver program. You should then travel back to Israel checking in to the flight with your Israeli passport and arriving in Israel with it as well. If they do not let you check into the flight to Israel using the Israeli passport, use your french one since you don’t need a visa to go to Israel as a French person but then actually enter Israel using the Israeli.

  2. Rebecca
    December 3, 2013 at 9:00 am #

    HI Dave. I have 2 passports, one is Canadian the other is British. I am currently living in the UAE with a 2 year work visa on my Canadian passport. I am going on a trip to turkey and would like to use my British passport since the visa fee is much less then if i use my Canadian. Is it possible to leave turkey on my British passport and then present my Canadian passport when i arrive at customs in back in the UAE?

    • David DiGregorio
      December 3, 2013 at 9:16 am #

      Absolutely. Make sure you show your Canadian passport when departing the UAE but then you can show your UK passport on arrival in Turkey. Then you’ll depart Turkey showing UK and enter UAE with Canada. Just remember when checking in for flights to show the passport you will arrive where you are going with.

      • kuzo_kd
        December 9, 2013 at 8:55 pm #

        Hi Dave, i am just a little confused because in your article you said “Meaning, you can’t check into a flight in New York using your American passport and then enter Brazil using your Italian passport. This will cause problems because the airline records the identities and citizenships of everyone on the flight. Your information won’t line up.” but in your response above you are suggesting Rebecca to leave UAE using her Canadian passport and enter Turkey using her British passport. I am clearly missing something here…please clarify, thank you!

        • David DiGregorio
          December 9, 2013 at 9:01 pm #

          Sorry for the confusion. There is a key different in leaving the country and checking into your flight. I’ll break it down using Rebecca’s example above:
          Check into flight to Turkey: UK Passport
          Depart UAE Immigration: Canadian Passport
          Arrive Turkey Immigration: UK Passport (to match flight manifest)
          Check into flight back to UAE: Canadian Passport
          Depart Turkey Immigration: UK Passport
          Arrive UAE Immigration: Canadian Passport

          Hope this helps clarify things!

          • Kizzy
            December 29, 2013 at 9:13 pm #

            This is a bit tricky for real.. Say for instant u have a US and Ca Pp…you enter the uk on a Canadian pp and a one way ticket…can you book a flight to the US for with your US PP info but still show the ticketing agent your Ca PP when departing the Uk without raising questions….

          • David DiGregorio
            December 29, 2013 at 9:23 pm #

            So you are in the UK and have entered with a Canadian passport. You are then flying to the USA. You must show the ticketing agent your US passport since you are flying to the USA. Then you will show your Canadian passport to the UK immigration upon exiting the United Kingdom. Then when you arrive in the US you’ll obviously use your UK passport.

            It’s important to show the airline person your US passport so that the manifest shows you as a US citizen. You could certainly show the Canadian passport and then fly to the US as a Canadian but if you plan to stay in the US for an extended period of time you may overstay whatever permission Canadians have (which I am not sure). Technically you need to show your US passport when flying to or entering the US. But you could get away with not doing so as long as you depart the US before your on-arrival visa expires. I do not advise doing so however.

  3. Raoul
    December 3, 2013 at 9:03 am #

    Hi Dave,
    Is it better if i enter a country for example the netherlands with one passport and go on holiday with my italian passport?

    • Raoul
      December 3, 2013 at 9:05 am #

      What i meant was i have two passports and i wanted to move to the netherlands for university. Is it possible then once i enter the netherlands to go out of the country using my italian passport and not the other one?

      • David DiGregorio
        December 3, 2013 at 9:18 am #

        You have to enter and exit a country on the same passport. But you can then enter another country on whichever passport you wish.

  4. Kizzy
    December 23, 2013 at 1:39 pm #

    Hi Dave, what if I never been to the US and recently got my dual citizens after many years, my parents send my passport to the country I am living… Can I enter the US without immigration interrogation…

    • David DiGregorio
      December 27, 2013 at 2:16 pm #

      Hi Kizzy – sorry for the delay. Got tied up with Christmas. So just to be clear, you have never been to the USA but you just received your US citizenship and have your new passport in the country where you live? By law, you must enter the USA using your US passport. You must always present yourself to US authorities as a US citizen. So if you were flying to the US from your home country you must first check into your flight using your US passport (this is important so that the airline manifest has you as a US citizen), then use your other passport to exit whatever country you live in (if necessary), then present your US passport on arrival into the US and use the US Citizens entry line. It may be weird since you’ve never been to the USA – but you are a citizen with the same rights as those that were born and grew up here.

      • Kizzy
        December 29, 2013 at 8:54 pm #

        Thank you.. Hope you had a wonderful christmas

  5. Lisa
    December 23, 2013 at 1:43 pm #

    Dave… What if I never depart the US on my US pass port can I re enter on my US passport? Will they see my departure date from the US using my second passport?

    • David DiGregorio
      December 27, 2013 at 2:17 pm #

      Hi Lisa – I do this all the time. Since the US doesn’t have exit immigration I routinely leave the US only showing my Italian passport. But then when you check in for your return flight back to the US you must check in with your US passport so that the flight manifest shows you as a US citizen. This doesn’t affect you departing the other countries you visited using your second passport. Then you must show your US passport on arrival back in the US. It doesn’t matter that your US passport was never used abroad while you were gone.

      • Lisa
        December 30, 2013 at 7:41 am #

        So they the US Inmigration do not have record of your departure date, hence they will not know how long you have depart the US whether you use a UK Pasport or US Pasport?

        • David DiGregorio
          December 30, 2013 at 5:00 pm #

          I wouldn’t say they don’t know when you depart. But you won’t go through exit immigration. But it doesn’t matter how long you are out of the US if you are US citizen. You don’t have a visa to stick to. You can come and go as you please.

  6. Micharl J Perry
    December 27, 2013 at 5:25 pm #

    Hi bro! I am in Ecuador. I entered with US Passport. I need to go to Brazil, I am entering there on my 2nd passport since it is not required to have a visa. US Passport is under Michael James Perry, 2nd Passport is under James Perry. Will immigration let me exit Ecuador if the name in the US passport is slightly different than the one on my reservation?

    Oh, and thanks A BUNCH for this post! I have bookmarked it.

    • David DiGregorio
      December 27, 2013 at 6:05 pm #

      Hi Michael! Your situation is a bit strange because the names are different on your passports. You should check into your flight to Brazil on your 2nd passport, then exit Ecuador immigration on your US passport, then enter Brazil with your 2nd passport. In this case it’s not immigration you need to worry about since immigration wont’ be so concerned with your reservation, but the airline will. When you go to check in for your flight to Brazil you should present your 2nd passport with the mismatched name. If they let you check in and give you a boarding card, you’re good to go. If they give you a hard time about the name being slightly different, show them your US passport which matches exactly. Technically the passport should match the ticket but this probably won’t be a problem. Worst case you can just fly on your US passport and then enter Brazil using the 2nd passport. I do not believe they have the same flight manifest requirements the US does but again, last resort.

      • Micharl J Perry
        December 27, 2013 at 6:39 pm #

        Wow, great info, thank you! Or I can do an open jaw flight Ecuador-USA-Brazil. On my flight back to Ecuador I won’t need a passport because with my Brazilian Residency card which I’ll get when I go there, I could travel without a passport.

        And I have the mismatched names because I had a name change after my 2nd country issued the passport and didn’t bother changing it there because it means I’d have to apply for another passport which is expensive.

        • David DiGregorio
          December 27, 2013 at 7:13 pm #

          Sounds like you have some options. Let me know if I can help in any other way and enjoy Brasil!

  7. Fraunhofer
    December 31, 2013 at 1:12 am #

    Hello David,

    I am a citizen of Canada and Croatia and since Croatia has recently joined the EU I’d like to leverage my Croatian passport where possible. As a result I have two trips coming up and I was wondering if you could correct my logic in case I plan on using the wrong passport:


    SEA – KEF (check in using Croatian passport, arrive to customs using Croatian passport).
    KEF – SEA (check in using Canadian passport, exit customs using Croatian passport, arrive in US using Canadian passport)


    YVR – IAH (check in using Canadian passport, and where required for this leg) or should i use the Croatian one here?
    IAH – IST (enter Turkish customs with Croatian passport, proceed to next leg)
    IST – ZRH (enter swiss customs with Croatian passport and move on)
    ZRH – SPU (enter with Croatian passport and proceed as I’m a citizen)

    SPU – ZRH (check in with Canadian passport, exit customs with Croatian passport)
    ZRH – YUL (exit customs with Croatian passport, arrive in Canada, use Canadian passport).

    Thanks so much in advance!!

    • David DiGregorio
      December 31, 2013 at 8:58 am #

      I think this all looks right except at the very end. It looks like you will enter Zurich on your Croation passport. If that’s the case you need to be sure to depart Zurich on it as well, even if you check into your flight onward to Canada on your Canadian passport. To simplify this you really only need to use your Canadian passport when checking in for the flight to Houston and entering the US and then checking in for the return flight to Canada and entering Montreal.

      • Fraunhofer
        December 31, 2013 at 11:59 am #

        Great! That makes sense. Thanks so much. If I get detained, I won’t quote you :p

  8. Antonio
    January 8, 2014 at 4:01 am #

    Hi David,
    I have an italian and a UK passport and I live in the UK. Say I am travelling from UK to Italy and then back and I purchase the ticket in UK: because I need my UK passport to leave the UK I assume that I will need to register (some airlines like easyjet ask you to register your passport before you travel) with the UK passport and this won’t cause any problem entering and leaving Italy on the way back?

    • David DiGregorio
      January 8, 2014 at 10:12 pm #

      So in this case you will leave the UK using your UK passport but everything related to your flight you should use the Italian passport on. So when you buy your ticket, enter your Italian passport. When you check in to the flight – Italian passport. When you depart UK immigration, UK passport, then Italian passport to board the flight and on arrival in Italy. When you depart Italy back to the UK you’ll do the opposite. Use your UK passport to check into the flight but your Italian one on departure from Italian immigration. Hope this makes sense?

      • Antonio
        January 9, 2014 at 6:08 am #

        Thank you very much for your reply David, yes it makes sense although I would have thought that when in Italy (providing
        I bought the ticket using my Italian passport) I would use the Italian passport not only at the italian immigration but also at the check in and not the UK one because the ticket has been bought using the Italian passport?

        Also, further to what you said above, I assume that, since I live in the UK, it would be OK if I decide to buy a plane ticket to Italy using my UK passport as opposed to the Italian one, as long as I remember to give the Italian passport to the Italian immigration control in Italy when I land and when I depart.

        So, just to stick to the example of a return UK-Italy flight, as a general rule whatever passport I buy the ticket with (and therefore fill in the API with) I will have to use that passport anytime there is something flight-related (like check in, boarding the plane, claim a lost
        luggage etc) no matter what country I am in. But as far as the immigration controls, if I am in Italy I will use the Italian passport and if I am in the UK I will use the british passport.

        Thanks again for your help, and great blog by the way!

        • David DiGregorio
          January 9, 2014 at 10:24 am #

          There’s really no such thing as buying a ticket on a specific passport. All that matters is flight check in, immigration exit and immigration entrance.

          • Antonio
            January 10, 2014 at 3:04 am #

            OK thank you very much for your help!

  9. Denise
    January 11, 2014 at 4:55 am #

    Hi David, this is a really interesting post! From what I gather from this and the comments below is that immigration & the airlines don’t share the information on passport details and what flight you’re meant to be on? Is that correct? So, essentially, I can check in with an airline on Passport A, present Passport B to immigration, then board the flight with Passport A? Once in the destination country, can I then present either passport to immigration or should I stick with Passport A that was used for the flight? Another question – if you’ve got a return flight booked, does the airline keep the information of which passport was used to check in to the first leg, in which case they’d expect that you’d be checking in on the return leg with the same passport? Thanks!

    • David DiGregorio
      January 11, 2014 at 10:06 am #

      The thing to remember is that there are two different processes going on at the same time – exiting and entering. The airline absolutely does share information with immigration, but the airline is only concerned with your future arrival in the country you are going to, not your departure from wherever you are starting. Let me break it down using the three times you’d need to show your passport on a given trip:

      Flight Check In: Here we are concerned only with where you are going so the passport you show must be aligned with that.

      Immigration Departure: Here we are concerned only with where you are, not where you are going. Whatever passport you entered the country with, you must present. This step has nothing to do with where you are going.

      Immigration Arrival: This step must align with what you presented on flight-check in. The airline will have shared your information with immigration so that they are expecting you on arrival. If you change passports here, the records won’t line up.

      These same three steps can be repeated for any trip in any direction. Hope this makes sense!

  10. Anton Camarota
    January 11, 2014 at 3:07 pm #

    I would appreciate any comments you might have on this situation.

    Person A has both a Japanese (JP) and US passport. Person A was born in Japan and is a naturalized US citizen living in the US. Person A wants to travel to Japan and enter Japan as a Japanese citizen. Is this process correct?

    1. Purchase round trip tickets: JP passport

    2. Flight check-in US: JP passport

    3. Immigration departure US: US passport

    4. Immigration arrival Japan: JP passport

    Return trip:

    1. Flight check-in Japan: JP passport

    2. Immigration departure Japan: JP passport

    3. Immigration arrival US: US passport

    Will Immigration arrival in the US question the lack of entry and exit visas on the US passport?

    • David DiGregorio
      January 11, 2014 at 4:18 pm #

      This is pretty close. On departing trip there really is no step three as the US doesn’t have a formalized immigration exit. Then on return trip step 1 needs to be US passport. Since you are flying to the US, you must check in using your US passport. Immigration will not question the lack of entry or exit stamps in your US passport upon return to the US. If they do, you can always show your Japanese passport which you must by law use when going to Japan. But they will also know you were in Japan based on the flight data from the airline. That’s why it’s important to check in for the Japan-USA flight using the US passport.

      • Anton Camarota
        January 12, 2014 at 1:04 am #

        This does not make sense. The airline checks the passport number against the ticket, so don’t all legs of a trip have to be made with the same passport? If the person checks in in Japan using a US passport when the ticket was purchased using a JP passport, won’ t the airlines refuse boarding?

        • David DiGregorio
          January 12, 2014 at 9:33 am #

          Although the airline will ask for a passport number when purchasing the ticket, this really doesn’t mean anything. Each leg of the trip will be independent and the airline won’t send information to immigration of the receiving country until passengers are checked in. Therefore, the passport does not need to match what was entered when was booked and you can use different passports on different legs of the same trip.

          The reason the passport you entered when booking the ticket is meaningless is because nobody has checked the physical passport. You can actually just enter a bunch of nonsense when booking (as I have done when I hadn’t yet received my new passport). It’s the airline’s responsibility to physically check the passport when you are at the airport and make sure the data is correct – on a flight by flight basis.

          • Anton Camarota
            January 12, 2014 at 3:33 pm #

            This is excellent! So the real lesson here is the two points of control.

            1. The departure flight check in must be with a passport acceptable at the destination country! Acceptable means a visa in the departing country passport or with a second passport that could be from the destination country. This is because the airlines send the passport information to the destination immigration authorities, who will be expecting that the same passport presented at the airline check will also be presented in immigration arrival.

            2. If a person holds a passport as a citizen of a destination country, the immigration arrival and departure from that country must be with that country’s passport.

            The passport number used to purchase the ticket is not relevant at the point of purchase, but is relevant at the point of airline check in.

            So in this case (Person A has both a Japanese (JP) and US passport. Person A was born in Japan and is a naturalized US citizen living in the US. Person A wants to travel to Japan and enter Japan as a Japanese citizen) the following sequence would work:

            Departure from US:

            1. Purchase round trip tickets: Either JP or US passport

            2. Flight check-in US: JP passport

            3. Immigration arrival Japan: JP passport

            Return trip from Japan:

            1. Flight check-in Japan: US passport

            2. Immigration departure Japan: JP passport

            3. Immigration arrival US: US passport
            Is this finally correct?

          • David DiGregorio
            January 12, 2014 at 3:36 pm #

            Anton – I think you’ve got it! You’re all set now.

      • Anton Camarota
        January 12, 2014 at 1:18 am #

        1. Purchase round trip tickets: JP passport

        2. Flight check-in US: JP passport

        3. Immigration arrival Japan: JP passport

        Return trip:

        1. Flight check-in Japan: US passport

        2. Immigration departure Japan: JP passport

        3. Immigration arrival US: US passport

        What happens on the return trip when the airlines attempt to match the passport used to purchase the ticket (JP) with the passport used at check in in Japan (US) and find that they are different?

  11. David
    January 14, 2014 at 6:02 pm #

    Question for you David. In my scenario my daughter has dual citizenship with U.S. and Brazil. If we travel to Brazil using the following passports. Will we not have to have a U.S. Visa to return to the U.S.

    1. Purchase round trip tickets to Brazil: BRZ passport

    2. Flight check-in US: BRZ passport

    3. Immigration arrival Brazil: BRZ passport

    Return trip:

    1. Flight check-in U.S.: U.S. passport

    2. Immigration departure BR passport: (Brazilian’s need visa to travel to U.S.?)

    3. Immigration arrival US: US passport

    Want the Brazilian immigration officer be looking for a required U.S. visa?


    • David DiGregorio
      January 15, 2014 at 10:27 am #

      This is all correct. The immigration officials on exit of Brazil won’t be looking for a US visa. Their job is to process you departing Brazil so all they will look for is the entry stamp you got when entering Brazil. The responsibility of checking for a US visa falls to the airline since they will be fined $10,000 if they allow you to board without one. With them you show the US passport and you’re all good.

  12. Dimitris Nakhid
    January 15, 2014 at 6:18 pm #

    Hello David. I have an urgent question. I have a Trinidad passport and a Greek one. I recently bought a ticket to Norway (I live in UK) with my Trinidad passport. I completely forgot I could use my EU (Greek) passport to enter Norway without a VISA (using the Trinidad one). Will I having a dual nationality be okay to enter with no VISA to Norway if they consider my EU passport (Which I will have on me). Thanks

    • David DiGregorio
      January 15, 2014 at 6:35 pm #

      Hi Dimitris – If you have a Greek passport you can enter Norway visa-free. It doesn’t matter that you also have a Trinidad passport or what passport you entered when you purchased the ticket. As long as your EU passport is valid and meets all the other requirements for Norway you can use it exclusively on this trip and not bother with your Trinidad passport at all since I assume you live in the UK on your Greek passport since it offers right-of-abode in the UK. If you have some sort of work permissions or entry visa in your Trinidad passport or are in the UK using that passport be sure you exit Trinidad showing your Trinidad passport so they know you departed. When you exit Norway to come home you can use either passport assuming your Trinidad passport has a visa that allows you to enter the UK.

      • Dimitris Nakhid
        January 15, 2014 at 6:43 pm #

        You are a star I’m telling you coz I’m proper dreading it. Coz I completely forgot that I could use my EU one and used the other one instead. So you are saying that it doesnt matter that I booked the ticket with my Trini one as long as I show them my EU one they are going to let me go visa-free is that right? I’m getting paranoid that they will not accept me in haha

        • David DiGregorio
          January 15, 2014 at 6:45 pm #

          You should certainly call the airline and change the passport that’s on the reservation, but it shouldn’t matter. The passport you show when you check into the flight it the one that matters.

          • Dimitris Nakhid
            January 15, 2014 at 6:49 pm #

            Yeah I will deffo call the airline tomorrow make sure. But given it is Ryanair they might charge me for it and might be a rip-off. That’s what Im thinking as well though that as long as I have my EU passport with me they will see I can get in visa-free without a doubt (I hope)

          • David DiGregorio
            January 15, 2014 at 6:56 pm #

            Haha – they shouldn’t charge you for it. I think you’ll be okay.

          • Dimitris Nakhid
            January 15, 2014 at 6:59 pm #

            Alright cheers for that! Thank you for your immediate responses! 🙂

  13. Confused dual citizen
    January 19, 2014 at 2:43 am #

    Hi Dave,

    Here’s my question…I live in Canada and am a dual Canadian/South African citizen (with both passports). I will be going to South Africa in March and then leaving from there to India and then back to South Africa (and back home to Canada). [Canada-South Africa-India-South Africa-Canada]. I’m in the process of getting a visa for India, which I thought should be in my Canadian passport, correct? I’m a bit confused because as a South Africa citizen, I have to enter and leave South Africa with my South African passport. So when I leave South Africa for India..wouldn’t that mean I’d have to use my South African passport (without the India visa). Or is “leaving” a country and “entering” another country 2 separate occurrences (i.e. I could “check out” of South Africa with my South African passport and then use my Canadian passport with the Indian visa to get into India)?
    My main question is…should I be getting the Indian visa in my Canadian passport, South African passport…or both?!

    • Confused dual citizen
      January 20, 2014 at 12:54 am #

      Whoops, sorry, I just read the posts below. So according to the 3 times my passport will be required, I should be fine with getting the Indian visa in just my Canadian passport. If this is incorrect, please do let me know. Thanks!

      • David DiGregorio
        January 20, 2014 at 8:29 am #

        That’s correct. Get the visa in your Canadian passport. Enter SA using your SA passport. Then when you are departing SA check into your India flight with your Canadian passport, depart SA immigration with your SA passport, then enter India with your Canadian passport. 🙂

        • Confused dual citizen
          January 20, 2014 at 7:17 pm #

          Awesome, thanks!

  14. LJ200
    January 20, 2014 at 5:50 pm #

    Hi, I’d like to leave the U.S. and enter Argentina with my EU passport (and not my U.S. passport) to avoid paying the ARG reciprocity fee. But U.S. law says U.S. citizens–even dual citizens–must enter AND leave the U.S. on their U.S. passport (e.g., see here: Any thoughts on this? Thanks!

    • David DiGregorio
      January 21, 2014 at 9:45 pm #

      I’m honestly not really sure how you would go about “leaving” the USA using your US passport. Since you don’t show your documents to any US CBP officers on departure there really is no way I know of to do this. Let’s say for example you were going to the EU instead of Argentina. You would have to fly using your EU passport by law in order to enter the EU legally. This is the same thing, except with Argentina. I don’t think it’s a problem and in fact have done it myself with several South American countries that levy a reciprocity fee on Americans but not EU citizens. It’s your choice which passport you want to use at any given time. As long as you never misrepresent yourself to officials from either of your home countries.

  15. PanamaD
    January 21, 2014 at 4:44 pm #

    Hello. I have dual panamanian / USA citizenship, thus carrying two Passports. I recently entered Spain via Madrid on my Panamanian Passport and stayed for a week. However, on my way out, I realized I had left my panamanian Passport in the hotel where I had been staying and had no time to recover it before my flight left so I ended up having to use my US Passport to leave the country (was later sent the Passport by Courier by the hotel). I was asked no questions, nor did I volunteer any information to the immigration officer as I left spain (I am pretty sure they only put a stamp on my Passport and not even scanned it or anything but can´t be 100% sure). I was able to leave just fine but am left wondering if this could cause me any potential problems down the road when I go back to spain or anywhere in the EU. Can anyone help? Thanks

    • David DiGregorio
      January 21, 2014 at 9:48 pm #

      This is a unique problem. They should have picked up on the fact that you entered and left with different passports but I suppose the fact that they didn’t helped you get through a rough situation. Technically, the Panamanian you never left the EU so after 90 days they could assume you overstayed your visa. You can try to contact Spanish immigration and say you never received an exit stamp and want to clarify you left the country (still wouldn’t volunteer that you have two passports) but I’m not sure how effective this is. It’s worth a shot, but in the mean time I would make sure you use your Panamanian passport to enter somewhere else so that you have documented and dated proof that you are no longer in Spain.

      • PanamaD
        January 22, 2014 at 6:32 pm #

        Thank you David. The fact that they didnt mention anything leads me to believe that the immigration officer never cross referenced my information as I left, as I did not see him use any kind of machine, just a stamp, however, I can´t be 100% sure. He did stamp my us Passport. I am now back in panamá, where, upon entry, Panamanian immigration has stamped my Passport thus clearly indicating I entered another country within a week of entering spain. I guess I just wanted to know if this would make for a difficult entry next time I try to enter europe, or spain more specifically. I guess I can always just use my US Passport regardless.

        • David DiGregorio
          January 22, 2014 at 7:28 pm #

          Honestly, I don’t think it’s a problem for you. But worst case if you ever went back and they questioned you about overstaying upon entry you can show your entry stamp to Panama that followed and prove that wasn’t the case. I wouldn’t worry too much. There are plenty of border crossings you could have used to exit the EU that definitely would not have entered your details electronically.

  16. IYC
    January 22, 2014 at 7:47 am #

    Hi! I would really appreciate your advice too. I have dual USA/Korean citizenship. I’m currently studying abroad in France – since it’s less than 90 days, I didn’t have to get a visa. I got into France with my US passport (I came from the US). As I’m planning weekend trips from France, I am wondering if it’s okay to use my Korean passport even though I used the US passport to get into Europe?

    Thanks for your help!

    • David DiGregorio
      January 22, 2014 at 7:30 pm #

      It sounds like you should use your US passport exclusively since you don’t have a visa in your Korean one. If your planned weekend trips are to other Schengen countries (within the EU) you won’t technically be exiting/entering and if anyone needs to see your passport you should show the one you initially entered the EU with (US). If you are going outside the US on a weekend trip you can certainly use your Korean passport given it allows you to enter those countries.

      • IYC
        January 29, 2014 at 8:41 am #

        Thank you so much!

  17. Mando
    January 26, 2014 at 12:40 am #

    hi Dave, i have a question, i have a friend who just granted a green card through asylum and wanted to get back to his home country by leaving us with the us travel document and entering a transit country with us travel document and leave the transit country with his home country passport and visa verse in the return ? is that’s possible?

    • mando
      January 26, 2014 at 12:42 am #

      **leave the transit country to his country with his home country passport

      • David DiGregorio
        January 26, 2014 at 8:48 pm #

        Hi Mando – I don’t know anything about how green cards or asylum work so I wouldn’t want to advise. But the green card and asylum elements aside, this does sound possible. But I would strongly recommend checking with the terms of the asylum to make sure no rules are broken

  18. Rafael
    January 27, 2014 at 6:47 pm #

    Hello Dave,
    I have a Bolivian and US passport. Borned in Bolivia naturalized Citizen in the US. Bolivia does not accept dual citizenship. I have to go to Brazil for a few days of work meetings and due to time on getting Brazilian visas for US passports I would like to leave the US with my Bolivian passport (show airline), enter Brazil with the Bolivian passport. When coming back (if I got it right after reading comments):
    – I show the airline my US passport
    – Bolivian passport to Brazilian immigration,
    – Show US passport to US immigration.
    Is this OK? I have a concern that in all of this travel Bolivia does not accept the dual citizenship.

    • David DiGregorio
      January 27, 2014 at 9:48 pm #

      This sounds right to me. Nobody really accepts the dual citizenship, but that doesn’t mean you aren’t a dual citizen. I am born American but have Italian citizenship by birthright. When I went to Brazil a couple years ago I checked into my flight from the US using my Italian passport (no visa). I then entered Brazil as an Italian and enjoyed my trip. Upon leaving Brazil I checked in with the airline using my US passport, departed Brazilian immigration as an Italian, and arrived back in the US as an American. This is exactly what you’re looking to do and you should be all good. The most important thing is that you check into your US bound flight as an American and show your US passport at US immigration.

  19. Ben
    January 28, 2014 at 11:08 am #

    Hello Dave, hope you don’t mind another question. I’m a Canadian/NZ citizen going on a trip to Sweden-Finland-Russia. Because of the high volume (Sochi) the Russians still have my Canadian passport for visa purposes and it won’t be ready until February 4th (I enter Russia Feb 10) but I leave for Sweden January 31st! Can you forsee any problems flying to Sweden from Canada on my NZ passport and then picking up my Canadian passport in Finland with the visa and entering Russia as a Canadian? Then I’ll fly home as a Canadian again.

    • David DiGregorio
      January 28, 2014 at 4:34 pm #

      Sounds good as long as your Canadian passport is in Finland and not a Russian Embassy in Canada. Just make sure you depart Sweden as a Kiwi before you enter Russia as a Canadian.

  20. Sherry Corcoran
    February 1, 2014 at 12:16 pm #

    Hi Dave,
    My husband has 2 passports, one from New Zealand and a one from Britian ( father was a citizen he was granted this passport birth right). He lives in Canada now and has a permanent residence card, we want to travel to cuba for a week but his New Zealand passport is expired but his Britian one isn’t, can he travel on this passport or will we have problems?

    • David DiGregorio
      February 2, 2014 at 12:05 am #

      Hi Sherry. I’m not sure what you are asking. If he has a valid passport why couldn’t he travel on it?

      • Sherry Corcoran
        February 2, 2014 at 10:09 am #

        I didn’t think it was a big deal but my travel agent is reluctant to book the trip cause she doesn’t want us to get turned around in Cuba. So as long as he has a valid passport it won’t matter which one he uses? It’s ok for him to use the passport that is not from his home country (New Zealand)?

        • David DiGregorio
          February 2, 2014 at 10:14 am #

          Hi Sherry. Citizenship to a country is absolute. Your husband has the absolute right to present himself as a citizen of either New Zealand or Britain. It makes no difference where he resides. He could reside in a third country, it makes him no less a citizen of both. I am in Russia right now traveling on my Italian passport and I have never resided on Italy. Like your husband, I possess it by birthright. As long as the passport is valid and allows him to enter, he’s good to go. Just be sure to reenter Canada using the passport he has residency there with. That means checking in in Havana using that passport.

  21. Jenny Spencer
    February 3, 2014 at 10:09 pm #

    Hi Dave,
    If I have a UK and Australian passport, and want to travel from Thailand to Turkey (I have a work permit for Thailand in my Australian passport), can I use the UK passport to depart from Thailand and enter Turkey, and then travel back to Thailand on my Australian passport (with the thai visa in it)? The fees for Australians to get a visa to enter Turkey are significantly more than UK citizens.

    Thanks for your help.

    Jenny Spencer

    • David DiGregorio
      February 4, 2014 at 7:03 am #

      Hi Jenny – If you entered the Thailand on your Aussie passport you must depart on it. However you can then arrive in Turkey on your UK passport. Then do the reverse to go back. Depart Turkey on your UK passport and on arrival in Thailand present your Aussie one with the work permit.

  22. Angelica
    February 3, 2014 at 10:27 pm #

    Goodness, I hope I am not repeating anything but I think my question could possibly be a bit different. I have dual citizenship, therefore I have an EU and South African passport. I am currently in the US on a J1 visa in approximately 6 months that will expire. I entered and applied for my visa using my SA passport. With the rules of the program, and SA law I fall under the 2 year rule. Is it possible for me to apply for another visa or re-enter the US using my EU passport. I know the system probably cannot be tricked that way, but I’m just weighing my options. Any help and/or advice would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

    • David DiGregorio
      February 4, 2014 at 7:06 am #

      From a legal standpoint, the USA doesn’t care what passport you use, you are just one person and the rules apply to you as a whole. I would not recommend truing to reenter the US using your EU passport if you are not supposed to be in the USA using your SA passport. If you want to attempt this, you should contact someone at USCBP and ask what the rules are on revisiting as a tourist from a visa waiver country after the expiratiojn of a J1 visa in a different passport.

  23. Jim
    February 4, 2014 at 6:56 am #


    I have a uk and canadian passport . I was refused entry on the ESTA using uk passport because of a 5 year old DUI I think?? Can only be this? ( wasn’t even driving just sat in the car warming up as snowing at the time – lucky huh!!??). Anyway , Canadians are exempt from needing an esta , I bought my flight not knowing about esta as last time I travelled to usa was 2009 and it wasn’t an issue then. Will I be turned around at us customs ? I don’t want to waste flight money also don’t want to waste a trip ? Any help will be appreciated !

    All the best

    • Jim
      February 4, 2014 at 6:58 am #

      Btw I missed I’m travelling London to New York and back to London , staying 6 days visiting in holidays . Using canadian passport as no need for esta

      • David DiGregorio
        February 4, 2014 at 7:10 am #

        Jim – you were previously refused entry into the USA using your UK passport because of an outstanding DUI? Was this ever resolved? What did CBP say when they turned you away? What were the next steps? If you were turned away previously and have not rectified the issue, I would not attempt it again. You may be using a different passport, but you are the same person and an outstanding DUI is tied to you, not your passport. I would recommend contacting Customs & Border Protection to see if you will be admitted.

        • Jim
          February 4, 2014 at 8:28 am #

          Thanks for replying David. I wasnt clear sorry. i have never been refused entry to the USA. I have been 4 times. the last time was 2009 when ESTA came in to place. I was not refused entry at all. I understand if you are from the UK then you need to fill in an online ESTA form. I bought my flight not knowing about this. I did the ESTA and it said “not illegable to travel” i needed to apply for a VISA but would never have got a Visa in 2 weeks 🙁

          After looking up ways round it, becuase i have a Canadian passport then i dont need an ESTA so i will travel to USA on Canadian passport and hope for the best ?

          • David DiGregorio
            February 5, 2014 at 2:47 pm #

            Jim – it depends on what the deal is with that DUI. Do you have any active warrents in the USA? Because CBP will know about them before your arrival and you will have problems. If not and it’s just something that happened and was resolved, I dont’ know why that would be a problem.

  24. Steve
    February 5, 2014 at 12:52 am #

    Hi David, upon departure doesn’t the airline in the US match/share your information with whatever entry records US immigration officials have? I have US and Italian citizenships and I would be concerned about leaving the US on a foreign passport. Also, unless there is a specific rule in Italy about entering with an Italian passport, I would rather travel to Europe as an American

    • David DiGregorio
      February 5, 2014 at 2:48 pm #

      Hi Steve – if you have an Italian passport you must, by law, enter Italy using it. That’s pretty important. When you check into your flight in the USA the airline shares your details with the place you are going, not where you are leaving. Arrival immigration at the destination will then know who is coming.

  25. Guest
    February 5, 2014 at 1:19 pm #

    I have acquired American citizenship but I am also French (being born there myself). I live in the US but travel back to France for visits. My French passport expired a few months back and I travelled to France on my American passport. Your article states that doing this was not a good idea.

    I am wondering why exactly and what the consequences might be if I return to France to visit on my then renewed French passport? And what you recommend?

    When I travelled to France, the French authorities did make the comment that I was travelling on an American passport and asked if I had obtained American citizenship.

    • David DiGregorio
      February 5, 2014 at 2:50 pm #

      You probably won’t have a problem, but by law you need to represent yourself as a citizen of France to French authorities. This goes the same for US authorities where you must always present yourself as American. You went and came back and shouldn’t have a problem. But for example if you had reentered the US using your French passport and then over 90 passed you would have overstayed your arrival-visa – even though you are also American. As a rule use the passport of the country you are entering. But you will be fine in this case.

  26. chantel
    February 5, 2014 at 3:48 pm #

    Hi Dave, wow so many questions already! However just to be sure I’d like to ask another! I have a Canadian and UK passport, and am traveling to Brazil. I want to travel on my UK as there are no visa requirements – Do I need to leave as well as re-enter Canada on my Canadian? I am afraid if I leave Canada on my Canadian I will have issues entering Brazil on my UK and I also think I may have problems leaving Brazil on my Canadian if I entered on a UK

    • David DiGregorio
      February 7, 2014 at 4:00 am #

      Hi Chantel – I am actually about to post an article that more clearly explains this but basically explains what to do:

      Check into your flight departing Canada – show UK passport
      Clear Canada departure immigration – show Canadian passport
      Arrive Brazil immigration – show UK passport
      *enjoy Brazil*
      Check into your flight departing Brazil – show Canadian passport
      Clear Brazil departure immigration – show UK passport you entered with
      Arrive Canada immigration – show Canada passport

      • David DiGregorio
        February 8, 2014 at 3:09 am #

        Here is the new post I mentioned. Hopefully it’s helpful –

        • Jaw
          February 16, 2014 at 10:52 am #

          (Let’s make it a bit more tricky :))
          Hi Dave,

          I am exactly on the same situation as Chantal (except I have Moroccan passport instead of UK). I am planing to do the same itinerary but with a stop on the US (Toronto -> NY -> Brazil & then Rio -> NY -> Toronto).
          Fortunately, I do already have a US visa on my Moroccan passport and also I don’t need a visa to enter Brazil with the Moroccan one.

          My question is which passport should I present to US customs when transiting through NY (each way)??

          My understanding is: I have to show them Moroccan passport on my to Rio. And then show them Canadian passport on my way back to Canada. right? Knowing how the US customs are rigid and I don’t wanna make it complicated. (Canadian and Brazilians customs should be cool…. I guess :))

          • David DiGregorio
            February 16, 2014 at 11:04 am #

            Are you staying in the US each time or just transiting through? If you have a visa in your Moroccan passport that may be easier. Although I think it’s really easy for Canadians to come/go from the US without any problems. Regardless, it sounds like it doesn’t matter which you show since the US doesn’t have exit immigration. You will have to be careful which passport you show the airline people to make sure it lines up with which you will enter the destination country with.

  27. Angela
    February 7, 2014 at 6:33 pm #

    Hi Dave,
    I have a US and a NZ passport – I currently live in the UK and want to travel to South America and then the US. I obviously want to use my NZ passport because visas for Americans are horrific in South America. But I’m not sure if I can fly into Ecuador with an NZ passport and then out of Brazil with an American passport? When should I change my passport? When I book my flight out? But when I arrive to the US from Brazil and don’t have a stamp from Brazil, will this not look suspicious?

  28. David DiGregorio
    February 8, 2014 at 3:06 am #

    If you are still unclear on exactly which passport to use at each step of the process in departing and entering a country, please consult this follow up post with a step by step guide –

  29. Trish
    February 8, 2014 at 10:02 pm #

    Hi Dave,
    Glad I found your website. I traveled from San Francisco to France with my EU passport and then tried to return from France to San Francisco, not realizing I needed a visa to enter the US. I only had a copy of my US passport and after much difficulty they let me on the plane, only to have more difficulties arriving in San Francisco. I am now returning to France with a one way ticket. Even after reading your info, I still don’t know which passport I should use for my return to France. Do I leave with the EU passport because I need to show on the EU passport that I left the US?
    Thanks, Trish

  30. dan
    February 10, 2014 at 9:49 am #

    Interesting part about not changing passports midway, I often do this when travelling, my 2nd passport is the one saved with the airline, i use the 1st to leave the country but then use the 2nd to enter the next and use it to then leave. IE the 1st is left in a kind of limbo as its never arrived in a new country, thus it looks like I’ve left the UK gone no where for a few months then returned. Hasn’t been a problem yet. 🙂

    My explanation for why this works is the airline only needs to know that you have the correct visa/passport to enter the country and the immigration/emigration is completely separate to your airline passport check.

    • David DiGregorio
      February 11, 2014 at 2:58 pm #

      I don’t think what you are describing is any different than my post. I think we are on the same page.

      • jazbo
        March 11, 2014 at 2:59 am #

        Hi David. I need your advice. I have Thai and UK passports, and I have always done what you and Dan described above leaving Thailand (my home country) for Europe/USA. However, I am in a slightly different situation now. I have been in Peru for some months on my Thai passport (no visa needed for 90-120 days) and I am leaving to go back to Thailand via LAX.

        **The reason I’m not using my UK passport in Peru right now is because, long story short, my boyfriend has been working in Peru and I’ve already been here with him for the period of almost a year on my UK passport (leaving and coming back in again after the allowed 180 days with no need for visa). I didn’t bother looking into getting a dependent visa because we’re not married and we thought it would be too much of a hassle. The second time I came back in, the immigration staff questioned me a lot why I wanted to be in Peru for such a long time and it scared me. The third time I decided and was advised to come in as “a different person” on my Thai one.**

        Technically, I know I have to check in for the flight using my UK passport (to enter the US with visa waiver) while exiting Peru on my Thai and that shouldn’t be a problem. BUT because I am NOT leaving from my home country this time, do you think there is a chance the check in staff will look through my UK passport and wonder where my Peruvian stamp is? Might that cause further questions and problems? What if I’m pressured into showing my Thai passport? If they see both passports together they’ll know right away I’ve been sneakily switching passports to extend my stay in Peru, and then they might contact immigration?? Argh.

        Or are you absolutely sure from your experience that it won’t be of the airline’s concern and that the check in process is absolutely separate from immigration? Thank you so much.

        • jullian
          October 7, 2014 at 6:48 pm #

          Hmm. Sounds complex.

  31. Miklos Grof
    February 11, 2014 at 9:01 pm #

    Hi, some countries have a limits on how long you can stay there in a year. For example I can only be in Brasil for 6 months in a 12 month period maximum. Can i leave and enter using my second passport?

    • David DiGregorio
      February 17, 2014 at 4:39 am #

      Those limits are placed on a person, not a passport. You may be able to get away with it but if they catch you it could be a big problem.

      • Miklos Grof
        February 17, 2014 at 9:22 am #

        Thank you David

  32. Riko
    February 13, 2014 at 4:15 am #

    HI Dave,

    My daughter has Japanese Citizenship with japanese name (totally different from her american name, her middle name and my maiden Japanese last name) and she also has a US Citizen… Now that we are purchasing her ticket to Japan for the first time, I am panicking of not knowing which name to buy her ticket…

    To purchase a ticket should we purchase under her English Name, and use her US passport and to enter Japan should I just show both passports to show that both passports are legal?

    We haven’t made her passport yet so not sure if we can indicate her English name in her Japanese Passport.

    Any advice will be very much appreciated.

    Thank you!!

    • David DiGregorio
      February 13, 2014 at 1:33 pm #

      This is a really excellent question. Your daughter’s situation may be a bit more complicated but you still shouldn’t have a problem. Book the ticket using whichever name you prefer. You’ll then always show the passport that matches that name to airline and airport staff no matter where you are. When you arrive in Japan, show the Japanese passport since that’s what you have to enter with and they won’t care about your boarding card or anything other then if you are allowed in. When leaving Japan depart using your Japanese passport and once again, if it doesn’t match the boarding card it shouldn’t be a problem since the immigration people are more concerned with you and not what it says on your boarding card. This may mean that the airline will manifest you as a Japanese citizen on return to the USA. But you’ll just show your US passport on arrival. IF it gets flagged for some reason, showing both passports should remedy the situation. But it probably wont’ and you’ll be fine.

      I would probably opt to buy the ticket with the American name and show the American passport everywhere except Japanese immigration arrival and departure. That should make it the most seamless. Don’t worry, your situation is not so unique and you won’t have any problems.

      • Riko
        February 14, 2014 at 12:58 am #

        Hi Dave!

        Thank you very much for responding to my questions.
        I will purchase under my daughter’s American name and use her Japanese passport for arrival and departure at the immigration as you suggested but always carry her

        Now I feel so much better 🙂

        Again, thank you!


  33. Shela
    February 14, 2014 at 4:52 am #

    Hey Dave, i have a complicated question.
    I have both US and Taiwan passport(born in US). I am currently in Canada and i have overstayed. I was thinking if i could leave Canada with my US passport, the one i used to come to Canada, and come back to Canada with my Taiwan passport. Will they know that it’s me that overstayed? And will they deny me entry? Do they know that if two passports are connected? Thanks!

    • David DiGregorio
      February 14, 2014 at 6:34 am #


      As a rule, you are only one person no matter how many passports you have. Chances are they will note that you overstayed based on your name, birthday and other info and not necessarily your passport number. Imagine if you just got a new passport with a new number – you couldn’t just go to a country you previously overstayed because you had a new number. Does your Taiwan passport have the exact same name as your US one? Also, I’m not sure if Taiwan requires a visa to enter Canada. If so, on the visa application they will ask you if you have ever overstayed in Canada. And lying would not be a good idea.

      • Shela
        February 14, 2014 at 6:50 am #

        No, my two passports have two different names and Taiwan passport doesn’t need visa into Canada anymore. So you think it most likely won’t work?

        • David DiGregorio
          February 14, 2014 at 6:53 am #

          With different names there is a good chance it would work. But it is a gamble and you’d have to decide if it was worth taking it.

  34. Nahtan Servai
    February 15, 2014 at 9:04 am #

    Hi Dave,

    I have both Malaysian ( by birth) and Australian ( by naturalization) passport. Malaysia does not recognize dual citizenship but Australia does. I do not want to give up my Malaysia citizenship. To stay below the radar from the Malaysian government , does below plan sound good:

    Flying from Australia to Malaysia:
    Buy airline ticket under Malaysia passport details
    Check in with airlines under Malaysian Passport
    Exit at the Australian Immigration check point with Australian passport
    When entering Malaysia, use Malaysian Passport at the Malaysian Immigration check ( Malaysian citizens go through Auto-gate when entering and exiting Malaysia) .

    Flying from Malaysia to Australia:
    Buy airline ticket under Australian passport details.
    Check in with airlines under Australian Passport
    Exit at the Malaysian Immigration(Auto-gate) check point with Malaysian passport.

    Tnx a heap.

    • David DiGregorio
      February 16, 2014 at 9:39 am #

      Sounds like you’ve got it right! Have a great trip!

  35. Judy Wiggins
    February 16, 2014 at 9:27 am #

    Dear Dave,
    I am a South African citizen with a SA passport and have a British passport as well.
    If I travel on my South African passport and my British passport has just expired,
    will I be allowed into the UK without a visa. I intend to renew my passport when I
    am in the UK. I will only be in the UK to work for one month.

    It is very expensive to renew a British passport in South Africa and I only have six
    weeks before I leave for the UK.


    • David DiGregorio
      February 16, 2014 at 9:41 am #

      Hi Judy,

      I believe SA citizens require a visa to go to the UK. If your British passport is expired, you need to renew it before traveling to the UK. You could travel on your SA passport with visa to the UK, but you are not supposed to. I don’t think you have any real option besides renewing your British passport before departure.

  36. Turk
    February 17, 2014 at 8:33 pm #

    Quick question (and similar to dan’s below)….. my wife has 2 passports – New Zealand and French. We are traveling to Ireland where I will be working. Her NZ passport has her married name on it, but her French passport has her maiden name on it. Tickets are booked in her married name.
    Now to my question… we will obviously need to check in to all flights using the NZ passport (as it matches the tickets), however she wants to enter Ireland using her French passport (as an EU national). The name in her French passport won’t match the name she departed on, or on the tickets. Is this likely to cause us issues?

    • David DiGregorio
      February 18, 2014 at 2:57 am #

      Hi Turk,

      This can cause an issue. Your wife should have her French passport to have her new name. It’s okay if she doesn’t and decides to travel exclusively on her maiden name but that’s not what you are looking to do here. I would have her update the passport with France.

      • Turk
        February 23, 2014 at 3:50 pm #

        Thanks for the advice David. Really appreciate it.

  37. Janice
    February 18, 2014 at 12:56 am #

    Hi Dave!

    I wish I read your post earlier! I am afraid now it might be too late to do anything about. I will ask away anyway.

    I will be traveling from Canada to Chile, then to Argentina, Uruguay, and finally Brazil before catching a direct flight home. Out of these countries, a reciprocity fee is applicable for Chile and Argentina when entering as a Canadian.
    I have dual citizenship (British and Canadian).
    I just realized there is such a thing as ‘reciprocity fee’ for these countries, and it looks like if I entered using my British passport those fees would be waived.
    Unfortunately I booked the flight with information given to the travel agent from my Canadian passport. I wish my agent had said something.

    So with that information, plus what I read on your post about always try to leave/enter my home country (Canada) using the passport from that country… my question is: Do you think I can still utilize my British passport for Chile or Argentina?

    Any suggestion is much, much appreciated!


    • Janice
      February 18, 2014 at 1:19 am #

      I just read your response to Chantel. so basically our situation is almost the same. but my worries are:
      1) i booked my flight base on my Canadian passport. even though the names are identical, I don’t remember if the travel agent actually had my passport number or asked which one i am traveling with… in the last 10 years i have always traveled with my Canadian. i am not sure if my agent has my profile set to Canadian or something while booking. so can i just decide which one to use on the spot, without being concerned with whether the passport i use correspond with the one i used while booking the flights?
      2) i didn’t quite understand what you mean by using Canadian passport while checking in the flight, and use UK while going through customs… at the Vancouver airport, there is no obvious ‘customs’ counter. there is the airline counter, then once we enter the gate, you hand your passport to the customer officer and then you throw your hand carry on that belt thing.. then that’s it. next stop is at the gate, where you give your passport and ticket stub to the airline staff before boarding. can you clarify this further? what am i handing to each person (airline counter, customs officer, airline staff at the gate) as i pass through each of them?
      your help is much, much appreciated.
      i just realized also with a UK passport I do not need a visa for Brazil. so if this works, i am actually going to save a lot!

      thanks so much again,

      • Janice
        February 18, 2014 at 1:53 am #

        I just noticed my airline ticket is issued under ‘last name, first name’
        UK passport is ‘last name, middle name, first name’
        Canadian passport is ‘last name, first name’

        do you think there is a problem if my UK passport does not match exactly with airline ticket? i do know that to change the airline ticket name the whole ticket needs to be re-issued so it’s not a possibility for me at this point.

        • David DiGregorio
          February 18, 2014 at 3:03 am #

          Hi Janice,

          I think you are in luck here. The information your travel agent may or may not have shared when she made your booking is meaningless. The only thing that matters is what you show to authorities. When you get to the airport and check into your first flight show your UK passport. If you have to go through an immigration exit in Canada where they stamp your passport, show your Canadian passport. Otherwise, continue to show your UK passport for everything else throughout the trip. Only when you are checking in for your flight back to Canada do you need to use your Canadian passport, and then of course on arrival in Canada with immigration. This will allow you visa and reciprocity fee free entrance into all the countries you mentioned.

          As for the name issue, a middle name usually isn’t a problem if it doesn’t match. But, you could call the airline and have it added to your ticket. It shouldn’t constitute a re-issue and if it does, it’s not worth doing.

          • Janice
            February 18, 2014 at 3:16 am #

            that’s really interesting. it just made me realize i don’t really get a stamp anywhere on my passport before i board the plane in canada. i just walk through this security belt and hand my passport to someone standing by. sounds like that is the practice in US as well? so in that case, you are saying at the customs checkpoint i can start to use my UK passport… i’m relieved, excited, and scared at the same time! this is a huge trip for me and my boyfriend and he doesn’t think i should risk it. what i also am pondering is… if me and him are at the immigration counter at these countries together… and we both claim we are from canada.. would they question why he uses as canadian passport, but i use a UK one? would i be questioned why i am holding a british passport when i claim i am from canada? am i over-thinking here??

          • David DiGregorio
            February 18, 2014 at 3:23 am #

            Janice – you have to relax! You aren’t planning to commit a crime here. If you have a UK passport you have certain benefits. It doesn’t matter if you live in Canada or also have a Canadian passport. All that matters is which you are using. Chandra and I went to South America last October with our baby. Me and baby have US and Italian passports but Chandra has only a US passport. At each entry point we presented two Italian passports and an American one even though we were clearly a family and clearly American. None of that matters. This is a paperwork game. If you hold a UK passport you don’t pay the reciprocity fees or need a visa for Brazil. It makes no difference if you actually live in the UK. There is no risk here so don’t worry about it. The reciprocity fees apply to the passport, not the person. So relax and enjoy saving some money!

            Also, for Argentina you need to pay the reciprocity fee ahead of time online so make sure your non-UK traveling companion does that. You show a receipt of payment on entry. With your UK passport, you don’t need such a receipt. In Chile, you have to go to special counter before clearing immigration and pay the entry fee and get a receipt. Just be aware of these things – especially paying Argentina in advance and bringing the receipt – very important.

  38. Mark Dennison
    February 19, 2014 at 8:30 am #

    My wife has a valid South African and a valid British passport, both in her married name. For a holiday in South Africa my preference is to travel on the British passport as regards the airline, but show the South African passport at immigration for both entry and exit in South Africa. So gate checkins and UK immigration/security would use British passport.

    The advantage is that a layover in Dubai would more easily permit going landside in Dubai on the British passport (on the spot visa with no fee). Travelling on South African passport as regards the airline records would mean swapping passports in Dubai and might risk electronic passport checking issues on return to the UK.

    So in our case is it OK to travel on British passport and just use South African for immigration control in SA, particularly since the names are the same? Many thanks.

    • Mark Dennison
      February 19, 2014 at 8:57 am #

      Sorry, I should have used your second article rather than add a comment on this one. Having read your second article, I think I should book the airlines using the South African passport. Hopefully we can swap to British for the few hours in Dubai as regards the Dubai immigration desk, and continue with South African on the airline. Also returning to UK we should be able to show British passport to the airline to explain lack of visa and show British passport to UK immigration despite traveling on South African one, even if this is not ideal.

      Do you foresee any problems?

      • David DiGregorio
        February 19, 2014 at 10:32 am #

        Just to clarify you are traveling from the UK to SA via Dubai and want to enter Dubai briefly which is easier on your UK passport. I would do this:

        Check in for flight to Dubai/SA – SA Passport
        Arrive in Dubai and depart Dubai – UK Passport
        Arrive in SA – SA Passport
        Check in for flight to UK/Dubai – UK passport
        Depart SA immigration – SA passport
        Arrive/depart Dubai and arrive UK – UK passport

        The only potential discrepancy that can occur here is that you will enter the UAE without seemingly haven flown there. But honestly I do not think you’ll have an issue with that at all. Absolute worst case, you just show your SA passport along with your UK one to explain. You have to enter SA on the SA passport so this would be understandable.


        • Mark
          February 19, 2014 at 12:02 pm #

          I was thinking the same thing. If Emirates only allow one entry for passport details per passenger, rather than split passport details for out and return, I’d have to return with SA passport on the airline records and show UK passport both at airline visa check in SA and at UK immigration. I guess that would also work OK?
          Thanks very much for your advice.

  39. Damien Thompson
    February 19, 2014 at 9:29 am #

    This is interesting I always leave Australia on My Aussie passport and put it away during the flight then pull out my Italian Passport and Enter the UK on that one.

    • David DiGregorio
      February 19, 2014 at 10:27 am #

      Which one do you show to the airline at check-in? It should be the Italian one to match the manifest with immigration. Chances are you’d be okay if you don’t. But it could cause a red flag.

      • Damien Thompson
        February 19, 2014 at 11:10 am #

        I show my aussie passport to both. then once i jump on the plane I put that away and pull out my Italian Passport for UK immigration.

        • David DiGregorio
          February 20, 2014 at 3:48 pm #

          Probably shouldn’t do that but okay. 🙂

          • Damien Thompson
            February 20, 2014 at 4:19 pm #

            After reading Everything on both blogs. I am now going to follow the way you have set out. Seems very appropriate.

  40. Vergangenheitsbewältiger
    February 19, 2014 at 3:55 pm #

    Hi David,

    I hope you won’t mind a question about the switching passports mid-stream part of your very helpful post.

    I am a US/Canadian dual citizen. I am flying tomorrow from Canada to Mexico via the US. (I’m flying from Toronto to Chicago, then connecting in Chicago for a flight to Mexico.) I’d like to use my Canadian passport to enter Mexico, and I obviously need to show my Cdn passport to return to Canada. Also, I need to show my US passport to enter the US. So, I’m a bit confused as to how this works.

    Should I check in at the Canadian airport with my US passport, since that is what I will be showing the US immigration official to enter the US? If so, can I then present my Canadian passport when I arrive in Mexico? Or would I have to use my US passport since that is what I checked in with for the first leg of the flight (Toronto – Chicago).

    Similarly, on the way back, I assume I should check in to my flight from Mexico to Chicago with my US passport, since that is what I’ll use to enter the US. But then I’ll be transferring in Chicago for a flight to Toronto and need to use my Canadian passport to enter Canada. Will this be a problem since I checked in to the flight (back in Mexico) with my US passport?

    I hope this question makes sense and would be grateful for any guidance!

    • Vergangenheitsbewältiger
      February 19, 2014 at 4:29 pm #

      Just to clarify: I understand that airlines share information with immigration officials, so the passport I use to check in has to match the one I use to enter the destination country. If I check in in Canada with my US passport for an itinerary with a final destination of Mexico, changing flights in the US, will the airline give my US passport info to both destination countries (first US, then Mexico)? If so, will this present a problem on my return? I’d be checking in in Mexico with my US passport, to enter the US, but I’m switching flights in the US and flying on to Canada, and I need to enter Canada with my Canadian passport. Will the airline pass on my US passport info to the Canadian passport control authorities as well as to the US ones?

      I assume I’ll just be checking in once for the entire itinerary — is there a way to check in for the flight to the US with my US passport, then “re-check-in” for the connecting flight (to Mexico or, for the return, back to Canada) and get them to enter the Canadian passport information for that second flight?

  41. laura
    February 20, 2014 at 7:00 am #

    Hi Dave,

    I have a question for you. I have both American and Spanish passports (my husband is US citizen) and at the present time I’m expecting our first child. Although we are currently residing in Lithuania I’m having the baby in Spain and as I am an only child I would like my son to have my last name in his Spanish passport so it won’t be lost forever and his father last name in his US passport, is that possible?, I’ve read in the US consulate information that in that case I would have to produce an affidavit when I register the baby at the consulate indicating the reason why the name in the Spanish Birth Certificate it’s not correct. Do you think it is possible to have both passports with different names on each one of them?. Thanks

    • David DiGregorio
      February 20, 2014 at 3:46 pm #

      Hi Laura – I can’t pretend to be an expert on Spanish passports but I do now that in Italian passports it’s customary to keep your maiden name even after being married. So having two passports with two names is possible. You’ll just have to see if the authorities will do it.

  42. Safe
    February 20, 2014 at 8:50 am #

    Ok, how about I have a US passport and that of another country, so I enter my other country with their passport. Coming back to the US, I will need to enter with the US passport. Now, my question is am I not going to be questioned by Immigration why I dnt have and entry stamp or visa from the country I am traveling from? Because to them I went with my US passport.
    And input on this, please.

    • StyleHiClub
      February 20, 2014 at 9:07 am #

      You will not have problems – this is exactly the scenario described in the post. US Customs will not search for an entry stamp – they already know where you are coming from via the airline.

    • jj
      March 22, 2014 at 5:25 am #

      i was asked if I have another passport of which i said yes. they didn’t ask to see it. and how long I was there. And let me go. they can’t deport you.. I mean deport you back to the US?.. if you have citizenship you have the right to be here.

  43. Karina McClanahan
    February 20, 2014 at 12:47 pm #

    Hi Dave! I also need to go to Brazil and I have two passports, argentinean an american, leave from Texas (were I reside), now my concern is, when I do the tickets reservation I will give my argentinean info, when I come back to Texas and show my american passport that will no match whith what they have there. I will be ok?

    • StyleHiClub
      February 20, 2014 at 12:59 pm #

      Hi Karina – if you follow the exact example above with Michael’s case, you will be fine (I am assuming it is easier for Argentinians to go to Brazil vs. Americans). Just follow everything step by step. The tickets reservation is not important. It is important when you check into the flight and present a passport to immigration.

      • Karina McClanahan
        February 20, 2014 at 1:19 pm #

        Many thanks!

  44. Henrick
    February 21, 2014 at 11:37 am #

    Hi Dave!
    Thank you for the article. I have a question that I’m not sure if you will be able to answer. I’m currently a Temporary Resident in Canada. I entered with a Student Visa attached to my Brazilian passport, and now I am under a port-graduate work permit. My Visa expired, so that means that I can’t leave Canada as I can’t use my work permit as a re-entry document. The Company I work at will travel to the Bahamas on the next months and I was invited. The problem is: I have an Italian passport and I don’t need a visa to enter the US or Canada. Can I leave Canada and enter with my Italian passport? Will my status change if I enter the country with a different passport? Thank you 🙂

    • David DiGregorio
      February 22, 2014 at 4:46 am #

      Henrick – Are you saying that you have overstayed your visa in Canada and that’s why you can’t leave without being able to come back? Or do you have a valid work-permit that is allowing you to stay in Canada? If you overstayed, changing passports doesn’t solve your problem (although you may not get caught). But if you have a Canadian work permit in your Brazilian passport you can’t leave and reenter as an Italian. If you do, you won’t be under the work permit, you’ll be a normal tourist and restricted to a 90 day stay.

    • Charlz Incharge Connor
      March 25, 2014 at 9:34 pm #

      HENRICK it does not matter what passport you use your name and birthday follows you Canada will see your status and have you exit the country no doubt about it if you leave the country with out clearing up your status.

  45. Rami
    February 21, 2014 at 4:52 pm #

    Hey! I have dual citizenship, and I am going to obtain a one year VISA to Austria on my JORDANIAN passport. Can I use the AMERICAN passport in inter-european transportations??? Please answer asap

    • David DiGregorio
      February 22, 2014 at 4:44 am #

      If you are staying within the Schengen zone it’s considered one border and you should remain on your Jordanian passport. Although this is an open border so you really won’t need it. If coming and going from the Schengen zone, you can use whichever passport you wish. As long as you reenter Austria with the Jordanian since that’s what has your visa.

  46. Beniamino
    February 23, 2014 at 6:33 am #

    Hi Dave! I was wondering if you could help me obtain a second passport. I’m from UK and my grandparents are Italian. The instructions supplied by the consulate are very confusing. Did you need to provide a copy of the birth certificates for EVERY person descended from the Italian member of your family born in Italy? Also, did they have to be registered with AIRE in italy?

    If you can’t answer my question, advice of any kind would be much appreciated. I simply do not understand he instructions given to me in order to obtain an Italian passport.

    Thank you very much.

    • David DiGregorio
      February 25, 2014 at 7:45 pm #

      Hi Beniamino – I’m happy to help. You will need to supply the birth documents, marriage documents and death documents of every individual between you and your ancestor that allows you to have Italian citizenship. It is a complex process that gets more complex the further back you have to go. Nobody needs to be registered with AIRE but if they are still alive and not living in Italy, they should be. When I went through the process, this site was a major help: Otherwise, you can email me with more specific questions at

  47. Bobby
    February 24, 2014 at 5:11 am #

    Hello Dave!

    Great article! I have a question for you. I have American and Canadian passports, but I’ll be getting a UK work visa on my Canadian passport. I plan to leave from the US, since I am a resident of the US and not of Canada. Would I have to leave through Canada, to show my Canadian passport (with the work visa) when I arrive to the UK, or could I leave from the US?

    Also, if I were to come back from the UK, would I need to show my US passport when re-entering the US? I ask this because my US passport won’t have any stamps in it, whilst my Canadian one would, due to the work visa.

    Thanks in advance! 🙂

    • StyleHiClub
      February 24, 2014 at 11:36 am #

      Hi Bobby,
      You do not have to leave through Canada. Check into your flight as a Canadian from the US. There is no exit immigration from the US, so the only ones who will even see your passport upon your departure are the airline agents (however, this is beside the point). When you arrive in the UK, you will still be presenting your Canadian passport (matching the flight manifest and containing your visa).
      When you leave the UK, present your US passport to the airline, your Canadian passport to UK immigration and your US passport to US officials. Your situation is exactly the same as in this post.
      Thanks for reading!

      • Thomas Ralph
        March 13, 2014 at 9:00 am #

        It’s even easier than that. There’s no exit immigration from the UK either, so just use your US passport throughout.

  48. Jo-Anna
    February 26, 2014 at 4:05 am #

    I’m trying not to be repetitive asking questions you have already answered but I am still not 100% clear on my situation. I have dual citizenship with the US and the Netherlands. I traveled to Germany to visit my mother who is stationed here using my American passport. I am about to be going home to the states 2weeks shy of visiting Germany for 1 year. I know I need to use my American passport, will I have issues entering the country having been gone for so long? I currently have a Netherlands passport to prove I have dual nationality if I were to be questioned. Thank you so much for your help!

    • StyleHiClub
      February 26, 2014 at 2:38 pm #

      Hi Jo-Anna,
      First off, when you are a citizen of a country you can come and go as you please. It does not matter how long you stay or how long you are away. You will not be in any sort of trouble for being outside the US for too long.

      Secondly, you did mention though that you entered Germany as an American. You should have entered with your Dutch passport because Germany is part of the EU, like the Netherlands. This actually means you have overstayed your visa, unless you somehow got an extension past the usual 90 days. Americans can only stay in the EU for 90 days unless they have a visa. To Germany, you are there as an American citizen, not as an EU citizen.

      • Jo-Anna
        February 26, 2014 at 6:04 pm #

        Unfortunately my Dutch passport had expired mere days of traveling to Europe, otherwise I would have entered as an EU citizen. That was my fault for not paying attention to details and will be better prepared next time. Thank you so much for such a timely response. I was so stressed about this issue and having trouble finding the answer on my own.

        Being that I entered Germany as an American citizen, will I have trouble leaving Germany? I did not get an extension to my visa. I wasn’t aware that I had to do this. I thought renewing my EU passport was sufficient enough. I’ve definetly learned a lot from you today.

        • StyleHiClub
          February 27, 2014 at 10:25 am #

          I see. If I were you, I would probably contact your (Dutch) consulate. If you just try to leave Germany, they will know you have overstayed and you could face a fine and/or some sort of punishment. Your consulate may be able to give you info on how to proceed since you should technically be able to stay in the EU as long as you want given your citizenship.

          This is not the same scenario, but as an aside I have been able to reclassify myself after entering a country abroad and receiving the wrong kind of stamp at the airport (I should have been given a student visa but was just given a standard tourist 90 days by mistake in the UK).

  49. AlanaWalsh
    March 2, 2014 at 4:24 am #

    I flew to New Zealand in 2010 and I had trouble when I arrived in New Zealand, I think I booked my ticket using my British Passport and then had a stop over at Singapore and used my Kiwi passport there. Once I arrived in New Zealand they rushed me into the electronic check in and I was there for half an hour trying to see why it wouldn’t accept my passport. I went to a desk near by and they had to put it in manually because the kiwi passport didn’t link to what my boarding pass had said?

    On my way home I stopped in Aussie for 5 months because I have free visa entry because of my kiwi nationality and I came back to NZ for a few days. I asked the check in woman and said what one should I use and she said ‘whatever one you want’, so I said I’ll just use my British passport to avoid hassle again, went up to NZ departure immigration and the guy behind the desk was asking me why I was here for only a few days not realising I should have just used my NZ passport.

    I am going back in October so I’m just going to book it again on my British passport but use my kiwi passport as I did but on my return journey just use my kiwi passport on the way out..

    • StyleHiClub
      March 2, 2014 at 8:40 am #

      I’m not sure what your question is here? If you follow the step by step procedure above you won’t have any of the problems you outlined having in the past. Basically you must always show your NZ passport to NZ officials but when it comes to the airline you show the passport you are going to use at your destination.

  50. Fan
    March 2, 2014 at 4:01 pm #

    Hi, Dave,

    My situation is a bit unique. I was a Canadian citizen first and obtained US
    citizenship later. When I applied for US citizenship, I have my first name changed. So I have two different names on the two passports. I’d like to use my Canadian passport when I apply for a visa to China because the application fee is cheaper. I know that I should use my Canadian passport when I book an air ticket, check in at the airport when leaving the US and present to the Chinese Immigration Authority. My question is what I should do in the return trip? I have to use my Canadian passport to check
    in with the air line because the name on the Canadian passport, but not the US one, is the same as on the air tickets. But I will have to present my US passport to
    the US Immigration Authority. Will the inconsistence be a problem for me to
    enter the US?

    Thanks a lot in advance!


    • StyleHiClub
      March 2, 2014 at 8:43 pm #

      I assume you are flying via the US to get to China? Your situation is tough as the ticket should match the passport used. Where are you going to/coming from exactly? Do you live in the USA and will go from/to there? If so, I would recommend using your US passport entirely.

      • Fan
        March 2, 2014 at 8:57 pm #

        I live in the USA. I’m planning for a trip from the USA to China, and will come back to the USA. I guess I should use my USA passport for the whole trip as you suggested.


  51. Claudine
    March 5, 2014 at 2:48 pm #

    I wrote to you a while ago but couldn’t find your response. Here it is again.
    I am Mexican living in Canada. I am Canadian Citizen too. I am flying to Mexico to see my Grandma but I only have my Canadian passport. I think that I will be fine entering Mexico as Canadian right? My ticket has the name that appears in my Canadian passport. Do you think I should get my Mexican passport and enter as Mexican in Mexico? or I will be fine by entering as Canadian? I just didn’t want to pay for 2 passports.

  52. Kamila
    March 8, 2014 at 9:51 pm #

    Hi Dave! Please help me to figure this out: have 2 passports – Uzbek by birth and Iranian by marriage. I have green card and live in US. Green card states that my country of origin is Uzbekistan. I want to travel to France this summer and would like to use Iranian passport. Uzbek passport is not valid to travel outside of Uzbekistan due to expired exit visa (unique to post-soviet countries). So when exiting France to US which passport should I use – iranian or uzbek?

  53. Joy
    March 10, 2014 at 10:04 am #

    Hi Dave, My daughter has dual citizenship – UK and NZ and therefore 2 passports. Her UK passport has expired (and for various reasons can’t be renewed in the time frame), so she wants to use the NZ one. I know she doesn’t need a visa, but can she exit and reenter UK freely on her NZ passport? Thanks. Joy

    • Joy
      March 10, 2014 at 10:07 am #

      Sorry, was rushing before! She is going to Spain 1st April – sorry for omission!

      • David DiGregorio
        March 10, 2014 at 10:09 am #

        It may be less of a problem if she is entering Spain. But she lives in the UK and needs to go back there after? If so, she must enter as a UK citizen. That’s very important.

        • Joy
          March 11, 2014 at 5:32 am #

          Great, thanks!

    • David DiGregorio
      March 10, 2014 at 10:07 am #

      Although she may get away with this, the answer is no. As a UK citizen she must enter and exit the UK using her UK passport. Using her NZ passport would mean failing to present herself to UK authorities as a UK citizen, which is against the law.

      • Joy
        March 10, 2014 at 10:25 am #

        Thank you, Dave – I’ve had problems getting a conclusive answer on this!

  54. Mae
    March 11, 2014 at 7:21 am #

    What if you’re leaving your home country and entering your other home country, which passport do you use then?

    • David DiGregorio
      March 11, 2014 at 8:42 am #

      To illustrate this, let’s assume you are American and Italian and you are traveling from the USA to Italy. You would check into your flight to Italy using your Italian passport. Then depart immigration using your US passport, then arrive in Italy and show your Italian passport. Then when it comes time to go home you’d check into your flight using your US passport, depart Italian immigration using the Italian passport then arrive back in the USA usig the US passport. Check out my other post, it may be helpful –

  55. shima
    March 12, 2014 at 3:07 am #

    Hi Dave,

    Im shima. I have recently got my US passport and currently, i hold two citizen Malaysian and US. Now i’m migrating to US with my husband and its my first time traveling to US. My questions is, when i first leaving Malaysia, which passport should i verify at the immigration and which passport should i bought my ticket. Since im buying only one way ticket.

    • StyleHiClub
      March 12, 2014 at 6:29 pm #

      Hi Shima. You need to show your US passport to the airline when you check in. Then show your Malay passport to the immigration officials when you depart Malaysia. Then your US passport to the US authorities when you arrive in the US. It doesn’t matter that you are buying a one-way ticket as you are a US citizen and can come to the US forever if you’d like. My other post may be helpful to you –

  56. RP Tpas
    March 15, 2014 at 4:42 pm #

    Quick question – all the websites say it’s the law that US citizens enter and leave the US on a US passport. Which law is it? Thanks

    • StyleHiClub
      March 15, 2014 at 5:20 pm #

      This is correct. You must always present yourself as a citizen of a specific country to authorities from that country. This applies to the US and everywhere else. It would be illegal for you to arrive in the US as a US citizen and enter the US with a non-US passport.

      • Olga
        March 17, 2014 at 10:28 am #

        I want to drive by car to Oman. Is there any passport control , whan i leave Dubai , before i enter Oman ? Is there border?

        • David DiGregorio
          March 17, 2014 at 7:31 pm #

          There is absolutely a border between the UAE and Oman. They are different countries and there is passport control.

  57. Olga
    March 16, 2014 at 11:35 am #

    Hi Dave! Quick question for you. I am in Dubai . I have 1 month visa in Moldavian passport . Visa will expire in 2 weeks. I also have Romanian passport, which dont need visa from march 22. Can i go to Oman with Moldavian passport and exit with Romanian one? Is it legal ? Romanian has same rights as italian . Thanks in advance

    • StyleHiClub
      March 16, 2014 at 4:09 pm #

      You can’t enter and exit Romania on different passports but you can exit the UAE as a Moldovian, then enter Oman as a Romanian, then exit Oman as a Romanian and re-enter UAE as a Romanian. Just be sure not to exceed any overstay limits in the UAE. Those maximums apply to you as a person and not one of your passports.

  58. Giire
    March 18, 2014 at 2:56 pm #

    Salam Dave,

    I am a student studying in Malaysia. I want to get rid off my current Somali passport and change it with a Djiboutian passport. How can that work out. Thanks

    • David DiGregorio
      March 18, 2014 at 3:02 pm #

      Salam Giire. I’m not exactly sure I can help you with this. You are obviously a Somali citizen but are you a citizen of Djibouti? Do you have some connection there?

      • Giire
        March 19, 2014 at 12:27 pm #

        Yes, I am a citizen of Djibouti by birth. My
        father is a Djiboutian and my mother is from Somaliland. I took my education in Somaliland. When I was coming to Malaysia, I used the passport of a self-declared de facto sovereign state of Somaliland that is internationally recognized as an autonomous region of Somalia. Somaliland’s passport was officially accepted by Malaysia’s immigration department however after using the passport for almost one year and a half. The Somali embassy accused Malaysia for dividing their country. My Somaliland Passport was taken away and changed with the Passport of Somalia against my will. So, I need to change it by denouncing the Somali citizenship inorder to use my Djiboutian passport which is now in my hand. Note: Djibouti does not allow dual citizenship. The real challenge is how am I going to work this out??? Thanks in advance Dave.

        • David DiGregorio
          March 19, 2014 at 3:01 pm #

          Are you saying you have your Djiboutian passport in-hand? Do you currently hold a valid passport from Djibouti? If so, what are you asking how to do, simply renounce your citizenship with Somalia?

          • Giire
            March 21, 2014 at 8:50 am #

            Thanks Dave

        • Charlz Incharge Connor
          March 25, 2014 at 9:38 pm #

          The best thing to do is keep very quiet about your dual citizenship. Your Somali by birthright so think you should keep quiet and see what happens.

  59. Mark
    March 20, 2014 at 3:00 am #

    Hi! Great website here. I also have a question. My wife was born in Ukraine. She moved to the US on Fiance Visa (did not get “exit” visa from Ukraine). She is now a US citizen. If she flies to Ukraine, and enters Ukraine on a US passport … is this a problem? Her Urkaine passport expired already. She never officially renounced her citizenship either, as it is apparently complicated to do.

    • David DiGregorio
      March 21, 2014 at 4:09 pm #

      Hi Mark – your wife must enter Ukraine on her Ukraine passport, that’s the law. She should have the Ukraine passport renewed at the Consulate in the USA. If she plans to renounce and never renew, she can probably get away with using her USA passport.

  60. Greg
    March 20, 2014 at 6:08 pm #

    Hi David, I am a recent naturalized citizen of the US but currently have a valid UK passport. I submitted an application for a US passport a day before I found out my father passed. I have called a number of times to get my application expedited but I fear it will not get back to me in time. I need to travel to NZ and re-enter the US in a couple of days. I plan to have my wife fed-ex the new US passport to NZ when I receive it. Not ideal, but not sure what else I can do. Any suggestions/advice?

    • David DiGregorio
      March 21, 2014 at 4:06 pm #

      That should be doable. The only other suggestion I would have is to get a temporary passport in NZ. The Consulates are able to issue these.

  61. Dino
    March 24, 2014 at 1:04 pm #

    Hello any help would be appreciated: I’m traveling from the United States to Brazil this summer. Brazil has no visa requirements for Bosnian citizens where as it does for Americans. Obviously I should be using my Bosnian passport to enter Brazil but what should I be using when checking into my flight/leaving the USA, if I use my Bosnian passport won’t that raise flags since Bosnian’s aren’t allowed in the US without a visa?

  62. jay
    March 25, 2014 at 7:31 am #

    My friend lives in South Africa & has a South African passport (valid for 9 years) & a UK Passport. She is visiting the UK for a 3 week holiday in April but her UK passport is only valid until August 2014, will this cause a problem?, what’s the best thing to do as she is due to arrive on 5th April?

    • StyleHiClub
      March 25, 2014 at 8:40 pm #

      It sounds like her UK passport is valid for the duration of her stay in the UK? If that’s the case, she’ll be fine. The 6 month validity for passports only applies to foreign passport holders to prevent overstaying. As a UK citizen, it’s not possible for her to overstay.

  63. Charlz Incharge Connor
    March 25, 2014 at 9:20 pm #

    Taking these steps are stupid when your travel your name follows you everywhere. I travel to Canada on my UK passport the same info pops up as if I used my us passport. I travel home to the US on my UK passport no problem. It’s no secret that you are a dual citizens expecially with rfid. Coming home to the US they can’t really bother you if your a us citizen traveling with a foreign passport cause permanent residents have to use foreign passport and they don’t have more rights then citizens.

    • StyleHiClub
      March 25, 2014 at 10:16 pm #

      It sounds like you don’t have a problem then Charlz. The issue comes into play where the airlines transmits the flight’s passenger manifest to the immigration authorities and that manifest does not line up with the arriving passengers. If you were to use US Global Entry or Nexus for example those systems verify your point of origin based on what the airline shares, which includes passport number as the primary identifier. That doesn’t mean it will always cause a problem, but a lot of this is best practices to stay below the radar. It’s true you can always be let in because you are a citizen of a country, but most people would rather avoid as much attention as possible.

  64. rurhrurh
    March 26, 2014 at 6:07 pm #

    An interesting outline Dave, but as a dual citizen with two passports I do have to correct you on one point – for the sake of readers who may take this information as gospel. When you talk about Citizenship Rights and suggest “thanks to your second passport, now you can beg for help at two different embassies”, that is not the case. In the event that “…shit goes down” a dual citizen will be viewed by any and all embassies SPECIFICALLY as a citizen only of the country issuing the passport THEY USED TO ENTER THAT COUNTRY. This is a fact. Dual citizen travellers should be aware of the possible pitfalls in this scenario when they select the passport they use for entry.

    • DualCitizen
      May 1, 2014 at 4:27 pm #

      You are incorrect. For example, Canada has helped its citizens in countries such as Sri Lanka and Lebanon, despite those individuals having entered with Sri Lankan/ Lebanese Passports. I know since I was one of them.

      I hope that nobody takes your comment for gospel, since you are just wrong.

      • rurhrurh
        May 2, 2014 at 1:50 am #

        It’s a disservice to intelligent knowledge transfer when someone such as yourself with an uninformed opinion – particularly when it’s based on outdated and personal assumption – spouts misinformation on a note of importance such as this. The conditions for travel by dual citizens are NOT static, and uninformed travel as such could lead to significant problems in time of requiring consular assistance. You should not communicate your opinions as fact, as you are simply wrong. For anyone on this forum reading the reply from DuaCitizen, please ignore it, as it is patently incorrect and not current. Please read this as an updated and current opinion on entry and travel by dual citizens relative to Canada.

        • Hellen Pedro
          May 30, 2014 at 7:57 pm #

          Hello everyone i want to share a live testimony on how Dr Alex was able to bring my husband back to me, myself and my husband were on a serious breakup, even before then we were always quarreling fighting and doing different ungodly act..
          My husband packed his things out of the house and we had to live in different area, despite all this i was looking for a way to re_unite with my husband, not until i met Dr Alex the great spell caster who was able to bring my husband back home, Dr Alex cast a love spell for me, and after some time i started seen results about the spell….
          Today my family is back again and we are happy living fine and healthy, with Dr Alex all my dream came through in re_uniting my marriage, friends in case you need the help of Dr Alex kindly mail him on( ) or call him on +2347036013351, Sir i will forever recommend you!!

    • Vera Morgan
      July 16, 2014 at 3:58 pm #

      I have just found the right one and the greatest spell caster on earth who has brought back my happiness and turned my world around by helping me get my ex partner and helped me get back my life cause i was totally frustrated after 6years of hardship and pain, a friend of mine buzz me on my email saying i should cheer up cause solution has come. At first i was like what are you saying, then she mentioned the name ‘EBOEHI’ and i must thank my savior Great DR EBOEHI who has play a very vital part of my life making me a great person and the most happiest person today you are a great man who is bless by powers with traditional healing spell caster, after Great DR EBOEHI has help me get my ex back he also help me recover what i have lost in past years i must thank him (Great DR EBOEHI) the life he has restored back for me and my happiness. Now i am doing well in my work and also with my partner, Great DR EBOEHI is a very great spell caster you need to know just meet him and with your problem and it will be over.. Email him via: (…

  65. Kristy
    March 28, 2014 at 10:43 am #

    hi there! I understand the issue of not switching passports from airport to immigration, but, is it a bad idea to leave your home country on the foreign passport? In which case, there would be no stamp on it yet? E.g. check in at LAX on my Italian passport, arrive in Scotland & enter using my Italian passport, then when I am leaving Scotland, use my US one at the airport and customs/arrival back home?

  66. Meme
    March 29, 2014 at 7:48 pm #

    Hey dave!! I need help, I entered the US with my italian passport, though I reside in Argentina. I was able to stay 3 months, but I thought a trip to canada would renew it but it didn’t. I left in time, and am now in Canada, do you know if I can attempt to go back in a month or 2 and get 3 months again? (They said I should go back to my country of residence.. Which of course I am not planning to in the short term). Thanks!!!!

    • David DiGregorio
      March 30, 2014 at 3:35 pm #

      Hello Meme! Unfortunately the US and Canada cooperate when it comes to things like this in order to prevent exactly what you are trying to do. Under the visa waiver program you can stay 90 days but you must leave not only the US but also Canada, Mexico and many nearby islands as well before returning. Otherwise, there is no limit to how long you have to wait before you can come back again. As long as the CBP officer allowing you entrance doesn’t think you are suspicious or trying to spend too much time in the US, you’ll be fine. But, you will have to leave North America before being able to enter again.

  67. Milo Venables
    March 31, 2014 at 8:55 am #

    I am Thai-Candian and I just got my Canadian passport two years ago and have not use it. How ever I live in Sweden and has a residential visa for my Thai passport to stay with in the shengen visa. I would like to go to Scottland however the visa (shengen) dosent allow for the Thai passport in to the UK with out a visa.

    So when I exit Sweden can I use my Canadian passport to exit and enter into the UK? And on the round trip back use the Thai passport to enter Sweden?

    • David DiGregorio
      April 1, 2014 at 8:19 am #

      Yes, since the UK is not in the Shengen zone you would just exit Sweden with your Thai passport and then enter the UK as a Canadian.

      • Milo Venables
        April 2, 2014 at 10:03 am #

        I also have to use my Thai passport when I enter Germany for transit to Aberdeen?

        • David DiGregorio
          April 2, 2014 at 9:14 pm #

          Aberdeen, UK? Just be sure to show the Thai passport with Shengen visa when entering exiting the Shengen states and your Canadian passport into and out of the UK. This may mean some passport swapping. Check out our post on when to use what which may be helpful.

          • Milo Venables
            April 3, 2014 at 6:02 am #

            Thanks this helps a lot. I have read your link. And one thing, do I have to show both of my passports to the airline and the immigration? Saying that I will exit with this and enter with this?

          • David DiGregorio
            April 3, 2014 at 9:57 am #

            You don’t have to show both, just show the right one at the right time. Although showing both probably won’t cause you any problems.

  68. EastTraveler
    April 2, 2014 at 3:57 pm #

    As an American I have just been approved for dual citizenship with Italy under “jus sanguinis”. I have not as of yet received my passport but have a question regarding upcoming travel to Italy. When I do finally receive my Italian passport can I just use my US passport for the duration of the trip considering I will only be there for a few weeks? If one has both a US and Italian passport is it mandatory that I always use my Italian passport when arriving in Italy? There are many different answers that I’m reading and not quite sure what’s correct as I always want to do what is legal.

    One other thing, I have made reservations for a rental car and have an international drivers license obtained in the US. How is this handled considering that I only have a US drivers license? Thanks in advance!

    • David DiGregorio
      April 2, 2014 at 5:49 pm #

      Hi – I am absolutely certain that you must enter Italy as an Italian. It does not matter if you are there 1 hour or 1 year – you are Italian and must present yourself as such. This post will also be helpful to you:

      As far as the license, you will not have a problem with only a US drivers license. We’ve been fortunate to travel to many countries and have rented cars in many of them (Ireland, UK, Australia, Spain, Portugal, Australia, South Africa, Namibia, Serbia, Montenegro, Croatia, New Zealand, Seychelles, etc) – the American license is enough. In fact, it is more possible that the International Drivers License will be unknown to them.

  69. Nouseh
    April 4, 2014 at 9:32 pm #

    Hi Dave, thanks for the article! Very helpful. I have been searching for a solid source on which countries allow dual citizenship or which ones don’t. I still haven’t found a good link, do you have any suggestions on this issue? (Specifically interested in whether Paraguay allows dual citizenship or not). Thanks again!

    • David DiGregorio
      April 5, 2014 at 9:36 am #

      I’m afraid I don’t have a specific resource on this. However, most countries won’t have anything to say on it, which means you’re fine. The only way you’ll have a problem is if a country specifically says that if you obtain a second citizenship you lose your primary – like India. Most countries won’t “allow” dual citizenship but they tolerate it because there is nothing they can really do as long as you respect their rules in their eyes.

  70. Nt
    April 8, 2014 at 9:17 am #

    I hold a US & Irish passport but I am without a state ID. My US passport just expired. Can I travel within the US using my Irish passport until my new US passport arrives?

    • David DiGregorio
      April 8, 2014 at 11:13 am #

      Within the US you should be able to do this, yes. TSA only checks you are who you are. As long as you don’t present it to an immigration or customs agent. But try to get your US id as soon as possible.

  71. ALISHA
    April 10, 2014 at 3:06 am #

    my daughter has indian passport as she is born in her mother and im from philippines. can i apply for her philippine passport as well

    • David DiGregorio
      April 13, 2014 at 8:02 am #

      Most likely, yes. But you should check with the Philippine consulate on exact requirements. You will probably just need to gather paperwork.

  72. Dualcitizen101
    April 15, 2014 at 2:15 am #

    I have a question; I am a dual citizen of both France and the USA, I am traveling to China this summer as a tourist, the visa fee for a US citizen is $130 whereas for everyone else it is $30. Obviously I want to go there as a Frenchman, but on the visa application it makes you list other nationalities, Will the Chinese embassy charge me as an american or a frenchman? (it is important to note that I also live in America) Which passport should i use? Any help would be appreciated.

    • David DiGregorio
      April 16, 2014 at 9:55 am #

      You have the option of which passport to use in your application. They won’t make you use your US passport just because you have one. That said, there may be other benefits to using the US passport over the French. Last year I was in the same situation with India and was going to apply using my Italian passport, however the wait time for a visa in a non-US passport was weeks, compared to just a couple days for a US passport. Just be sure you know all the pros and cons but it is your choice.

      • Dualcitizen101
        April 16, 2014 at 4:28 pm #

        Thanks a lot for your help.

  73. qwerty1783
    April 15, 2014 at 8:02 am #

    hi Dave, I hold a US and Thai passport and am hoping to work in Thailand with my US passport as an expat. Do you think they’ll be any problems with me applying for a non immigrant visa or a work permit for Thailand?

    • David DiGregorio
      April 16, 2014 at 9:56 am #

      I’m not sure why you want to work in Thailand as an expat when you are not an expat and hold a Thai passport? I’m sorry to say, what you want to do is most likely illegal.

  74. James
    April 18, 2014 at 12:43 pm #

    i have two passport, i enter a country with my main passport but it got stolen. Is it possible if i use my other passport to leave the country?

    • StyleHiClub
      April 18, 2014 at 12:53 pm #

      Technically the answer is no. But you may be able to get away with it. Which country?

  75. A.B
    April 19, 2014 at 10:29 am #

    I am a dual citizen with Serbian and Swedish passports, I currently reside in Sweden and intend to travel to Turkey from a second country which is Denmark , now to my problem…in my last trip to Turkey I overstayed my visa and received an entryban for 3 years on my Swedish passport, this time I intend to travel from Serbia to Turkey with my Serbian passport and att the passport control in Turkey show my Serbian passport …..will they be able to tell that it´s me the same person that was banned in Turkey on a Swedish passport or will I maybe manage to pass through?

    • StyleHiClub
      April 19, 2014 at 5:14 pm #

      I would say there is a high probability that this will not work. Most immigration authorities don’t check identities based on passport type/number but rather on more universal identifiers like name and birth date. Although I don’t know if this would work or not in Turkey I can assure you it would not work in the USA. I would say doing it would be taking a considerable risk.

  76. Mohamed
    April 25, 2014 at 2:37 pm #

    thanks for this interesting topic, Dave

    I have a question, I got two passports with the same info and same ID, I
    need to travel from my home country Sudan, to Saudi Arabia then to Malaysia
    and then to Thailand, the problem is I got the two Visas to Saudi
    Arabia and to Thailand on one passport, but when I come to the Malaysia Visa I
    discovered that the passport will expired within 6 months period, which is something
    unacceptable for Malaysian Immigration. (For that I issued the second passport),
    now I got two Visas in one, and the other is empty new passport, my question is
    can I get into Malaysia with a completely new passport having no stamps on
    it ? or should I show them both? I don’t know what to do. Thanks in advance

    • David DiGregorio
      April 27, 2014 at 9:52 am #

      Mohamed I’m not sure what your question is. Are you just asking if you can use a blank passport to get into Malaysia? As long as the passport is valid you can use it. It makes no difference if there are other stamps in it.

  77. Jamie Gonçalves
    May 1, 2014 at 3:28 pm #

    Hey Dave, I used my U.S. passport to enter Colombia instead of my
    Brasilian one since I thought it would make more sense cause my
    Brasilian one is a empty. As I crossed into Ecuador over land I tried to
    use my Brasilian passport but they would only accept the U.S. one. Next
    I’m traveling to Peru, Bolivia, Argentina and then Brasil. How can I
    possibly switch over to my Brasilian passport? Do I have to cross the
    border by flight instead of land and will that even work? Please help!

    • David DiGregorio
      May 1, 2014 at 3:49 pm #

      As long as you use the same passport to enter and exit a single country, you can change anytime. As you crossed into Ecuador you should have shown your US passport to Colombian authorities and your Brazilian one to the Ecuadorians. They may give you a hard time but just insist. You can use whichever passport you want as long as you enter and exit on the same one.

      • Jamie Gonçalves
        May 4, 2014 at 3:03 pm #

        I tried using my Brasilian passport to get into Peru but was denied and forced to use my US one. Ugh. Now, I can only enter Bolivia on my Brasilian passport as I’m not going to so a Visa nor pay $140USD. Will this be a huge hassle/is legal?

        • StyleHiClub
          May 4, 2014 at 6:19 pm #

          Did you make it known you had both? Or did they look for your previous exit stamp and not find it? If the later, try to get Peru to exit stamp your Brazilian passport on departure.

  78. confused
    May 3, 2014 at 8:40 pm #

    Hi Dave,my question might confuse you abit,so my apologies:)
    Well,i have UK-refuge travel document and Iranian passport( got this 3years after having the uk travel document) and visiting turkey soon,I applied for the trukish visa and got the visa on my uk travel document,but im planing to visit Dubai(they do NOT accept refuge travel document)but they do accept Iranian passport! So I’m Entering turkey with my uk travel document and then leaving turkey with my Iranian passport and entering Dubai and then coming back to turkey with my iranian passport and leaving turkey and coming back to the uk with my uk travel document! My question is,will the trukish authorities question me when I leave turkey for Dubai. Will they ask me that,why there isn’t Entry stamp on my iranian passport?
    Thanks in advance.

  79. David R. Faris
    May 5, 2014 at 11:32 am #

    Actually I hold three citizenships: US by birth, moroccan by descend and italian by naturalization of my father when I was a minor. I’ve read that a US citizen MUST enter and leave on his american passport. I live in the EU and actually travelled in many countries (Morocco included) only on my italian passport, do you think I have to apply for an american passport to visit the US?

    • David DiGregorio
      May 5, 2014 at 7:28 pm #

      If you are a US citizen you must by law enter the US and present yourself to US officials as one. Using a different passport to enter the US would technically be illegal. If you’ve never had a US passport issued you probably won’t have any problems but to answer your question, yes.

      • David R. Faris
        May 6, 2014 at 1:55 am #

        Thanks for confirming, very helpful.

  80. Sandra Radziwon
    May 10, 2014 at 4:47 pm #

    I am a European citizen but still am a citizen of my country of birth, can I still ask for a U.S visa on my second passport?

    • StyleHiClub
      May 11, 2014 at 10:35 pm #

      You haven’t provided enough information but as long as your country of birth isn’t the USA, this should be fine. You can choose whichever passport is most convenient to use at any time – as long as you use the passports of the countries you hold citizenship to come and go from those countries.

      • Sandra Radziwon
        May 12, 2014 at 10:26 am #

        Thank you,that’s very helpful.

  81. Parker
    May 11, 2014 at 5:03 pm #

    I’m 17 and am a dual citizen of Canada and the UK, however I am currently living in America. Im going to Canada to visit some family in August for two weeks, and am then leaving to go to England for school. Which passport do I enter Canada (my home country) with? Because I need to enter England with my British passport for the school i’m going to.

  82. Marian Gregory
    May 12, 2014 at 6:34 pm #

    My life is back!!! After 8 years of marriage, my husband left me and left me with our three kids. I felt like my life was about to end, and was falling apart. I contacted Dr. OKORO LOVE SPELL and after I explained my problem, In just 3 days my husband came back to us and show me and my kids much love and apologize for all the pain he have bring to the family. We solved our issues, and we are even happier more than ever before Dr. OKORO you are the best spell caster. I really appreciate the love spell you cast for me to get the man back to my life i will keep sharing more testimonies to people about your good work. Thank you once again Dr. OKORO. You can also contact Dr. OKORO via email address: in case you are in any problem you can contact this man for help he is always there in his temple to help you solve your problem Contact Email is: CONTACT HIM TODAY VIA THIS EMAIL ADDRESS: AS HIS POWERS ARE SO STRONG AND VERY EFFECTIVE AND HAS NO BAD EFFECT INSTEAD IT HAVE A VERY GOOD RESULT AFTER CASTING THE SPELL.

    Dr. OKORO NUMBER: +2348053209149
    Contact Dr. OKORO Via email:

  83. Cazzz
    May 14, 2014 at 5:52 am #

    Hi Dave,
    I have dual citizenship with Australia and Brazil. My problem is that in Brazil you use both your mother’s maiden name and your father’s surname as your surname. In Australia I’ve just been using my father’s surname and used my mother’s maiden name as my middle name. So both passports are different. Will I have an issue with my passports being different when travelling to Brazil? All names are shown on both passports. I’m worried that because I don’t have a visa for Brazil, that I’ll be stopped when checking in because my Brazilian passport doesn’t match my Australian.
    I hope this makes sense. Thanks for your time.

    • StyleHiClub
      May 14, 2014 at 8:43 am #

      Hi Cazzz – I do not think you’ll have an issue, especially since all names are on both passports. It is possible to call the airline to have both names added to the ticket, but it sounds like the names are the same, it is just what you’re calling your middle name vs part of your last name. You will show your Brazilian passport to the airline in Oz (so they will know you don’t need a visa), then your Aussie passport to the airline when leaving Brazil.

      • Cazzz
        May 15, 2014 at 5:49 am #

        Great! Thank you for your help! 🙂

  84. tikiri
    May 14, 2014 at 12:05 pm #

    Hi, My son has a US passport and a Srilankan. He was seven years old when we applied for the us passport and when he got it he also had a Srilankan passport. When I broigt my son to Sl in 2009 I used the Srilankan. Now he’s going to the us. But he doesn’t have the dual citizenship certificate. So we are planning to travel to Singapore on his Srilankan and then when he enters Sl to use the passport so he’ll be a us citizen in Sl. Therefore when he leaves Sl to dxb there won’t be any confusion. Any problema with this idea?

    • StyleHiClub
      May 14, 2014 at 12:20 pm #

      Hi tikiri, your son is American. All he needs to prove this is his US passport. Why wouldn’t you just fly from SL to the US (via DXB if the flight requires) and enter as an American? I’m confused why you are going to Singapore (unless you just want to visit there…).

  85. Luke
    May 17, 2014 at 10:56 am #

    Hi Dave !
    My name is Luke.
    I flew in to Sweden with my Canadian Passport,
    but I have almost been here 3 months and I plan to stay a little longer
    (more than 3 months).
    I also have a Polish (European Union) Passport, which allows me to stay in Europe without any limitations.

    So, my question is, would I be able to stay here, even though I came
    through with my Canadian Passport, even if I have a Polish Passport?
    Or would I have to go back to Canada and leave again with my Polish passport?

    Thank you,

    • StyleHiClub
      May 17, 2014 at 11:02 pm #

      If there is a three month limit for Canadians then you can’t stay longer than that regardless of what other passports you have that you have chosen not to use. You don’t need to go back to Canada, just leave the country and come back in on the EU passport. Go to Norway which is not part of the EU.

      • majorstoffy
        May 18, 2014 at 10:15 am #

        This really helps! I do not have a visa or anything. So I could take a bus to Norway, i think to Trondheim and take a flight from Norway back to Sweden on my Polish passport? Or would I have to fly out of sweden to norway and back to sweden?

      • Luke
        May 19, 2014 at 4:02 am #

        This really helps! I do not have a visa or anything. So I could take a
        bus to Norway, i think to Trondheim and take a flight from Norway back
        to Sweden on my Polish passport? Or would I have to fly out of sweden to
        norway and back to sweden?

        • StyleHiClub
          May 19, 2014 at 5:58 pm #

          Land crossing should be fine, but you might be better off just booking a round-trip flight to Oslo as it’s only an hour away. An alternative is to try to remedy the problem with the immigration officers at the airport in Stockholm, but this may be more work than it’s worth.

  86. Jay
    May 17, 2014 at 2:03 pm #

    Here’s a toughie. I’m living and working in Thailand with a working visa. I have to travel to Israel for a wedding and have my Israeli passport. Can I just use my Israeli passport to leave and re enter the country so I dont have to get a renewal on my visa in my American passport?

    • StyleHiClub
      May 17, 2014 at 11:00 pm #

      If you have a visa that doesn’t allow you to leave then you can’t leave. Leaving on the Israeli passport isn’t an option since you never entered on it in the first place. Plus, how would you then come back? Sorry but this won’t work. See if your visa allows multiple-entry as it almost certainly does.

  87. Fer
    May 17, 2014 at 9:41 pm #

    so big question
    I’m mexican, with a mexican passport in the US with a F-1 student visa for 4 years
    i also have an spanish passport
    i really wanna go to canada but with the mexican passport i need a visa and pay fees bla bla
    and with the spanish passport i just show up and maybe pay fee (way easier)
    but would i have a problem when i want to come back to the us???

    it is ok if i leave the us and enter canada with the spanish passport but leave canada and enter de us with the mexican


  88. Alex
    May 19, 2014 at 11:22 am #

    Hi! I will be travelling with two passports for the first time and I am quite unsure as to how to handle this. I am Mexican and I recently acquired British nationality. I will be going to Mexico soon but through the US. This means I am fine to travel with the British passport all the way to the US, should I then enter Mexico with my Mexican passport? when leaving I shouldn’t I in theory show the Mexican one? The problem is with a Mexican passport I would need a transit visa in order to go through the US! Should I then just travel on my British passport? I have been told I should always enter my home country with my Mexican passport, so I don’t really know what to do… help?

    I know I complicated everything by going through the US but it is cheaper of course.

  89. May 19, 2014 at 2:34 pm #

    My husband and I plan on moving to Spain for a year. We are both U.S. citizens and I have an Irish/EU passport. Can I/we be eligible for national healthcare in Spain? I read that you can get free coverage if the country you are coming from offers free healthcare, which Ireland does. And does that extend to same sex married couples?

    • StyleHiClub
      May 19, 2014 at 5:57 pm #

      Thanks for your question John. It’s a good one however I’m afraid a bit outside the scope of my area of expertise. I would guess however that since same-sex marriage has been legal in Spain since 2005, that it wouldn’t matter as long as you are legally married. As far as eligibility for national healthcare overall, you may need to live in Spain a certain amount of time before qualifying but honestly I really have no idea. I would say this will probably all be very doable though.

    • disqus_exwQtcTw5H
      May 29, 2014 at 4:47 pm #

      Yes and yes

  90. Parker
    May 21, 2014 at 3:50 pm #

    So if I entered Canada on my Canadian passport, but was flying from Canada to the UK and needed to enter the UK on my British passport, which passport do I book the flight on? Because I have to leave Canada on my Canadian, but Britain is my final destination. Thanks so much!

    • StyleHiClub
      May 21, 2014 at 9:59 pm #

      It doesn’t really matter what you enter when booking the flight. What matters is what you show when you check in at the airport. But in your case, enter the UK passport when booking.

  91. Red Bull
    May 24, 2014 at 4:36 pm #

    I’m planning to visit Brazil for two weeks. I have dual citizenship from the US and Mexico. Since Mexican citizens don’t need a visa to enter Brazil, I want to use the Mexican passport to enter Brazil. However, I’m flying directly from the US and I’m a worry this might be a little troublesome. I read your Step by Step Guide, but Mexico not being a country in the Visa Waiver Program, I’m wondering if the airline employee at the check-in counter may ask to see a US visa or other proof that I’ve been in the US legally; specially since the information they record on the manifest is forwarded to CBP. Then I would have to show her my US passport.
    And then what if at that point she says that as a US citizen I must have a Brazil Visa in order to board the plane, irrespective of other nationalities I may have?

    Later, when I arrive in Brazil, what if the immigration authorities realize that I’m a US citizen, and refuse to let me in without a Visa, even if I hand them my Mexican passport?

    Finally, when I show my US passport while checking-in for the return fly, what if I’m told that as a US citizen, I’m not supposed to be in Brazil without a visa, even if I have another nationality?

    Do you know someone who faced a similar situation? – that is a dual citizen of the US and country X traveling from the US to Brazil, where country X citizens need a Visa for the US but not for Brazil.
    I rather not get a Visa, but I would be very upset if my trip was ruined because of some bureaucratic policy.


    • David DiGregorio
      May 28, 2014 at 11:31 pm #

      Antonio – you have to relax 🙂 All you need to do is show what’s necessary when asked. If someone wants to see you are allowed to be in the US, just show your US passport. There is no reason anyone would tell you you need to use your US passport over your Mexican for anything other than entering the US. So relax, it’s all good my friend 🙂 You can enter and exit Brazil as a Mexican. That’s your right.

      • disqus_exwQtcTw5H
        May 29, 2014 at 4:46 pm #

        Great posting. However and correct me if I am wrong here. I hold a us passport and eu passport. Booking a ticket online with the airline asks you for your passport info. In order for me to avoid a visa for Brazil I would enter the passport info of my eu passport. Now when I get to airport there is no immigration leaving but the airline person at the check in would ask me to swipe my us passport and will ask to see it as well. I can’t imagine that booking a ticket with my eu passport and checking in with my us passport won’t raise a reg flag. Thoughts please.

        • David DiGregorio
          May 29, 2014 at 9:21 pm #

          Don’t worry about what you enter when you buy the ticket. What matters is what you show the airline when you check in and that must match what passport you’ll use when you arrive at your destination. Follow the exact details in this post and you’ll be okay:

          • disqus_exwQtcTw5H
            May 29, 2014 at 10:10 pm #

            Thanks for the quick response.
            I am holding a German passport as well as an US passport. If I use my German passport to go to Brazil and hand it to the airline person they will ask for my arrival card I-94 for sure. Since I always enter with my US passport I won’t have/need that card. Only my customs form is needed for US citizen. The airline will report people without the I-94 immigration when leaving the country.

          • David DiGregorio
            May 30, 2014 at 8:40 am #

            I am a US citizen and I often depart the US showing only my Italian passport to the airline staff if that is the passport I am using at my destination. I have never been asked to see my arrival card I-94. If I ever was, I’d show show I was an American citizen and therefore don’t need one.

  92. Daniel
    May 28, 2014 at 7:43 am #

    Hi! I live in the Philippines and I have both a US and a Philippine passport. I will be going to the US in a few days, and I’ve heard of people like me using their PH passport departing, and their US one upon arrival without any problems. Should I do the same, or is it better to stick to the US passport? Thanks.

  93. Hellen Pedro
    May 30, 2014 at 7:57 pm #

    Hello everyone i want to share a live testimony on how Dr Alex was able to bring my husband back to me, myself and my husband were on a serious breakup, even before then we were always quarreling fighting and doing different ungodly act..
    My husband packed his things out of the house and we had to live in different area, despite all this i was looking for a way to re_unite with my husband, not until i met Dr Alex the great spell caster who was able to bring my husband back home, Dr Alex cast a love spell for me, and after some time i started seen results about the spell….
    Today my family is back again and we are happy living fine and healthy, with Dr Alex all my dream came through in re_uniting my marriage, friends in case you need the help of Dr Alex kindly mail him on( ) or call him on +2347036013351, Sir i will forever recommend you!!!

  94. weaveralicia
    May 30, 2014 at 10:55 pm #

    i can’t really believe that i am with my Ex-Husband after broken up with me with 4 kids i thank Dr Atakpo of ( for helping me getting back my man back, My Name is Mrs Rhona Cole i am from England and my man name is Mr Alan Cole, my happiness turn to bitterness,my joy turn to sorrow,my love turn to hate when my husband broke up with me last week,i was so frustrated and i could not know what next to do again, i was so unthinkable and i could not concentrate any more, i love my husband so much but he was cheating on me with another woman and this makes him broke up with me so that he can be able to get marry to the other lady and this lady i think cast a spell on my husband to make him hate me and my kids and this was so critical and uncalled-for,I cry all day and night for God to send me a helped to get back my man until i went to Westmoreland to see a friend and who was having he same problem with me but she latter got her Husband back and i asked her how she was able to get her husband back and she told me that their was a powerful spell caster in Africa name DR ATAKPO that he help with love spell in getting back lost lover’s back and i decided to contacted the same Dr Atakpo and he told me what is needed to be done for me to have my man back and i did it although i doubted it but i did it and the Dr told me that i will get the result after 24hours, and he told me that my husband was going to call me by 9pm in my time and i still doubted his word, to my surprise my husband really called me and told me that he miss me so much Oh My God i was so happy, and today i am happily with my man again and we are joyfully living together as one good family and i thank the powerful spell caster Dr Atakpo of, he is so powerful and i decided to share my story on the internet that good spell casters still exist and Dr Atakpo is one of the good spell caster who i will always pray to live long to help his children in the time of trouble, if you are there and your lover is turning you down, or you have your husband moved to another woman, do not cry anymore contact the powerful spell caster Dr Atakpo on his email: and he will answer you, i am a living testimony and i will continue to testify of his goodness in my family,he turn my family to paradise and today we are all happy together Dr Atakpo i say thank you in one million times thanks Dr.

  95. Dan
    June 3, 2014 at 12:41 am #

    Hi Dave,

    So I have a Finnish (EU) and Malaysian passport. And as you may know, Malaysia does not recognize dual citizenship. I am planning on going to the UK to look for a job using my Finnish passport and I will be leaving from Malaysia. My plan was to leave Malaysia using my Malaysian passport. I am just wondering if I should then enter the UK with my EU passport of Malaysian passport. If i enter using the Malaysian one, I am allowed to stay for up to 6 months and I was planning to then use my EU one in the country to look for a job. There are pros and cons to either option. I am a little confused with what I should do. Your help would be much appreciated!

    • David DiGregorio
      June 8, 2014 at 7:42 pm #

      In this case you need to use your EU passport to enter the UK, or you won’t be able to work. You can’t have entered on the other passport and then look for work. You will eventually overstay and be there illegally as a Malay.

  96. deusa
    June 4, 2014 at 7:54 am #

    I currently live in the UK, I hold a UK and US Passport. My UK passport is currently unavailable(it’s been sent off and I’m not sure I will get it back in time)…I have booked a trip to Ireland this month and if I do not receive my UK passport in time would it be acceptable to travel to and from with my US passport. I understand you’re supposed to enter your ‘home’ country with that passport but as it’s unavailable this looks like it may be my only option.

    • David DiGregorio
      June 8, 2014 at 7:43 pm #

      You aren’t supposed to do this, but you most likely won’t have a problem in doing so.

  97. documentmakers
    June 5, 2014 at 3:31 am #

    buy your real and fake passport visa other documents

    Buy real and fake Passport ,Visa,Driving License,ID CARDS,marriage
    certificates,diplomas etc for sell
    Guaranteed 24 hour passport,citizenship,Id cards,driver´s
    license,diplomas,degrees,certificates service available. Tourist and
    business visa services available to residents of all 50 states and all
    nationalities Worldwide. are unique producers of Authentic High
    Quality passports, Real Genuine Data Base Registered and unregistered
    Passports and other Citizenship documents.I can guarantee you a new
    Identity starting from a clean new genuine Birth Certificate, ID card,
    Drivers License,Passports, Social security card with SSN, credit
    files, and credit cards, school diplomas, school degrees all in an
    entirely new name issued and registered in the government database
    We use high quality equipment and materials to produce authentic and
    counterfeit documents.All secret features of real passports are
    carefully duplicated for our Registered and unregistered documents.we
    are unique producer of quality false and Real documents.We offer only
    original high-quality Registered and unregistered passports, driver´s
    licenses, ID cards, stamps, Visa, school Diplomas and other products
    for a number of countries like:USA, Australia, Belgium,Brazil, Canada,
    Italian,Finland, France, Germany, Israel, Mexico, Netherlands, South
    Africa,Spain, United Kingdom.

    Contact us on ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
    General Support:——–

    we are able to produce the following items;
    Buy Registered and unregistered USA(United States) passports,
    Buy Registered and unregistered Australian passports,
    Buy Registered and unregistered Belgium passports,
    Buy Registered and unregistered Brazilian(Brazil) passports,
    Buy Registered and unregistered Canadian(Canada) passports,
    Buy Registered and unregistered Finnish(Finland) passports,
    Buy Registered and unregistered French(France) passports,
    Buy Registered and unregistered German(Germany) passports,
    Buy Registered and unregistered Dutch(Netherland/Holland) passports,
    Buy Registered and unregistered Israel passports,
    Buy Registered and unregistered UK(United Kingdom) passports,
    Buy Registered and unregistered Spanish(Spain) passports,
    Buy Registered and unregistered Mexican(Mexico) passports,
    Buy Registered and unregistered South African passports.
    Buy Registered and unregistered Australian driver licenses,
    Buy Registered and unregistered Canadian driver licenses,
    Buy Registered and unregistered French(France) driver licenses,
    Buy Registered and unregistered Dutch(Netherland/Holland) driving licenses,
    Buy Registered and unregistered German(Germany) driving licenses,
    Buy Registered and unregistered UK(United Kingdom) driving licenses,
    Buy Registered and unregistered Diplomatic passports,
    Buy Registered and unregistered USA(United States) passports,
    Buy Registered and unregistered Australian passports,
    Buy Registered and unregistered Belgium passports,
    Buy Registered and unregistered Brazilian(Brazil) passports,
    Buy Registered and unregistered Canadian(Canada) passports,
    Buy Registered and unregistered Finnish(Finland) passports,
    Buy Registered and unregistered French(France) passports,
    Buy Registered and unregistered German(Germany) passports,
    Buy Registered and unregistered Dutch(Netherland/Holland) passports,
    Buy Registered and unregistered Israel passports,
    Buy Registered and unregistered UK(United Kingdom) passports,
    Buy Registered and unregistered Spanish(Spain) passports,
    Buy Registered and unregistered Mexican(Mexico) passports,
    Buy Registered and unregistered South African passports.
    Buy Registered and unregistered Australian driver licenses,
    Buy Registered and unregistered Canadian driver licenses,
    Buy Registered and unregistered French(France) driver licenses,
    Buy Registered and unregistered Dutch(Netherland/Holland) driving licenses,
    Buy Registered and unregistered German(Germany) driving licenses,
    Buy Registered and unregistered UK(United Kingdom) driving licenses,
    Buy Registered and unregistered Diplomatic passports,
    Registered and unregistered Camouflage passports,
    Registered and unregistered passport Duplicates,
    Registered and unregistered USA(united States) passports for sale,
    Registered and unregistered Australian passports for sell,
    Registered and unregistered Belgium passports for sell,
    Registered and unregistered Brazilian(Brazil) passports for sell,


    General Support:——–
    General Support:——–
    Registered and unregistered passport of all countries.visas,biometric
    passport,degrees,drivers license,I.D cards.Training certificates M
    GCSE, A-levels, High School Diploma Certificates ,GMAT, MCAT, and LSAT
    Examination Certificates , Novelty Birth, Marriage, and Death
    Certificates , Novelty Passports and New Identity Packages ,
    Replicated, False Degrees/Diplomas from most post-secondary
    institutions from around the world (we have over 3000 templates on
    file) all designed to look 100% identical to the original.Custom
    Printing (if we do not already have the template on file – simply
    email us a copy and we can make any alterations/modifications as per
    your directions).second, citizenship, identity, identification,
    documents, diplomatic,nationality, how to, where to, get, obtain, buy,
    purchase, make,build, a, passport, i.d,British, Honduras, UK, USA, us,
    u.s.,Canada, Canadian, foreign, visa, Swiss, card, ids, document

  98. Ashley
    June 8, 2014 at 4:27 pm #

    Hi, I have a question. My boyfriend is an American citizen and travelled to the UK to visit me for one week 9 months ago. Upon arrival he was denied entry due to lack of funds. He was however given temporary admission of one night. He is wanting to come back to see me and has recently found out he may be able to obtain an Italian passport. If he gets it, could he enter the UK with his Italian passport instead? Will his name still register as someone who had been denied? Will the officers see it as him trying to hide the fact he was denied by coming in on his other passport? And if so, could they start asking why he’s now coming in on another passport and deny him again? In reality he would be using it so he could gain instant access but we don’t want the officers thinking he’s desperate to enter so is sneaking about as if he’s up to no good.

    • David DiGregorio
      June 8, 2014 at 7:45 pm #

      Your boyfriend can use whatever passport he wants to enter each time so there’s nothing shady about doing so. That said, if they have a problem with him entering it won’t matter which passport he uses. But I don’t think changing to an Italian one will cause any problems. It can only help.

  99. Fahim
    June 9, 2014 at 2:27 pm #

    Hi – I am a US and UK citizen, and reside in the USA. I will be traveling to Canada for work in the near future quite extensively (pretty much every week). But I need to send my US passport off for a Saudi Visa application for a trip I have to make later this year. I don’t think I should have issues entering Canada on my UK Passport but how should I handle re-entry to the USA with my US Passport?

    • David DiGregorio
      June 9, 2014 at 2:47 pm #

      You aren’t supposed to enter the US using anything but your US passport so this may be a problem. Any way you can send your UK passport for the Saudi visa? If not, you can get a second US provisional passport from the US State Department that should solve your problem. They are good for two years.

  100. disqus_5MRHv3MewP
    June 10, 2014 at 11:32 am #

    Hi, can I get some help? I applied for a British passport and it didn’t arrive when I left the US to go to the UK, so I used my US passport. I will be getting my British passport by mail soon before I go to France. Do I need to leave the EU entirely and fly back in with my British passport, or do I just enter the next country on the British passport to be able to stay as long as I want?

    Because on my American passport I can only stay for 90 days, so if I leave as an American from a country, and enter another as British, does that still matter??

    If that makes any sense. Thanks!

    • David DiGregorio
      June 10, 2014 at 12:40 pm #

      Since the UK is not in the Schengen zone you can just leave the UK and enter the Schengen EU using the British passport. You shouldn’t have entered the UK without your UK passport, but you should be fine.

  101. lawjen
    June 17, 2014 at 6:22 pm #

    Hi, if I use this system with 2 non USA passports, to enter the States, can I stay for 90days on one passport then depart and reenter on the 2nd passport (with a valid Visa waiver)?

    • StyleHiClub
      June 18, 2014 at 7:54 am #

      ABSOLUTELY NOT. You are the same person.

      • lawjen
        June 18, 2014 at 8:10 am #

        Thanks. ONLY asking!

        • StyleHiClub
          June 18, 2014 at 8:16 am #

          That’s fine – just stressing this point. We explicitly say it in the post.

        • David DiGregorio
          June 23, 2014 at 3:18 pm #

          Depending on where your passport is from, you may be allowed 90 days per entry, and not per year. Check it out, you may be okay.

  102. Angela
    June 25, 2014 at 4:55 pm #

    If I have an Italian and US passport and I am traveling to Italy, do I leave the US with my Italian passport?

    • StyleHiClub
      June 25, 2014 at 8:10 pm #


  103. Renae
    June 26, 2014 at 11:32 pm #

    Just wanted to thank you for all your help! Your spell is amazing and got my man back. Now to clarify, it had already been some time since we had even spoken to each other, and I was really starting to miss him. but since i contacted bring him back, and it worked! … I could not have done it without you! We are now blissfully celebrating our Birthdays together, and are even planning a beach getaway just us two.

    Thank you sooooo much!!!

  104. Trapped.In.Russia
    June 27, 2014 at 8:13 am #

    So I have quite a complex issue that I could use some advice
    if anyone has experience with a similar situation, here’s my long story:

    I was born in Russia but moved to Canada when i was around 7. My only grandparents live in Russia and they
    are too old to travel, so try to visit them every 4 years or so.

    * This May i found tickets for a great price leaving June
    4th, which made me realize that my Russian passports are expired (Russia has 2
    passports, Domestic and International best i can phrase it)

    * At the Russian consulate in Toronto (after several visits)
    they gave me a document that allows me to exit Canada and enter Russia in order
    to renew my Russian passports. This form was to be given to the passport
    offices within 3 days of arrival

    * I had no problems getting to my destination, by the second
    day I had already renewed and been given my Russian Domestic passport. Thought I
    was off to a pretty good start.

    * On the third day I went to the Russian passport office and
    gave them the document that allowed me to enter Russia and began asking about
    the International Russian passport. They
    told me that it takes a minimum of a month to renew; but that I could do it
    from Toronto (My current trip was booked for 3 weeks – June 4- 27th). They also assured me that I would have no
    issue exiting Russia with my Canadian Passport.

    * Worry free I didn’t bother modifying my flight itinerary
    and fast forward until today, at the airport when 3 hours before my flight,
    passport control rejects me from exiting Russia. They tell me that there is NO
    WAY the will let me leave Russia without the Russian International passport. I
    had them get a manager and she just yelled and threatened me in Russian.

    I have a job and commitments back home in Canada, and could
    really use some advice on how to deal with my current situation as I had to
    cancel my flight last minute and currently trapped in Russia for the next undetermined
    period of time. Oh yeah, and as an added
    bonus, up until I turn 27 (about 6 months from now) I can still technically be
    sent to the Russian army regardless of the fact that I’ve lived for over 20 of
    those in Canada.

    • StyleHiClub
      June 27, 2014 at 10:33 pm #

      Holy crap. That is the worst ever. I have never heard a good thing about Russian passport stories and have had my fair share of annoyances but nothing this bad. Can you appeal to the Canadian Embassy?

      • Trapped.In.Russia
        June 28, 2014 at 3:38 am #

        As of now my best bet is to try and find a way to expedite the international passport via whatever means possible. The embassy wouldn’t get involved because it would only start a political mess since i’m also a citizen of russia.

    • Duke
      July 24, 2014 at 5:24 am #

      I hope you’ve applied for your Russian pp soon after arriving. I wonder if you can contact Rus Consulate in Toronto and ask them what your options are. Please post what happened to you, as it may help others with dual Rus/Can citizenship. Thank you.

  105. Sarah Kelly
    June 27, 2014 at 11:20 am #

    I never use to believe in spell casting until i met
    Great Baba a powerful spell caster who helped me to be a happy person
    again. My name is Sarah Kelly and i reside in USA. After 3 years of
    Broken marriage, my husband left me with three kids. I felt like my life
    was about to end and i almost committed suicide, i was emotionally down
    for a very long time. Thanks to a Great spell caster called Great Baba
    which i met online on one faithful day when I was browsing through the
    internet, i came across a lot of testimonies about this particular Great
    spell caster how he has helped so many people. he has helped people to
    bring back their Ex lover, some testified that he restores womb, cure
    cancer and other sickness, and so on. I also came across a testimony, it
    was about a woman called Amanda, she testified about how his spell made
    her to be pregnant after so many years of bareness and at the end of
    her testimony she dropped Great Baba’s email address. After reading all
    these, i decided to give it a try and i contacted him and explained my
    problem to him and he assured me that in less than 48 hours, my husband
    will call me and beg for forgiveness but i thought it will not work.
    When he had finished casting the spell, the next day my husband called
    me and he was begging for forgiveness just as Great Baba said. This is
    not brain washing and after the spell has been cast, i realised that my
    husband love me like never before and the spell caster opened him up to
    know how much i love him and how much love we need to share. We are even
    happier now than before. Great Baba is really a gifted man and i will
    not stop publishing him because he is a wonderful man. If you have a
    problem and you are looking for a real and a genuine spell caster to
    solve all your problems contact Great Baba now on he will help you solve your problems. Once again thank you Great Baba for your good deeds.

  106. SimplyTravelling
    June 27, 2014 at 8:17 pm #

    Excellent site and thank you Dave!

    I know this may sound outlandish, but are US citizens allowed to have three passports?

    For example, a US passport (first), Italian passport (second) and an Argentine passport (third)? I do have two, and am considering a third, but I don’t want to go through all the hassle just to find out that the US does not allow one to have three passports.

    Any suggestions — and any links that may be useful?

    Thank you!!!!

    • StyleHiClub
      June 27, 2014 at 10:24 pm #

      I do not think this is a problem.

  107. Fred Werner
    June 30, 2014 at 12:51 am #

    My partner and her mother are dual US – German citizens, traveling to Germany for the first time since getting German citizenship (we live in the US). I understand from your post that they should show the airline their German passport for their flight to Germany, and then show the airline their US passport for their flight home, so that they can enter each country with that country’s passport. The problem is, buying the airline tickets online, the airline website requires info on one (and only one) passport per passenger.

    How do they convey the info for two passports each at this point? If they just buy the tickets using their German passports, won’t that cause problems when they try to check in with the airline for their return flight from Berlin with their US passports?

    • StyleHiClub
      July 12, 2014 at 11:31 pm #

      It doesn’t matter what you give to the airline when you book, What matters is what passport you show when you check in for the flight at the airport. That’s why they ask for your passport at that time.

  108. hcg1
    July 9, 2014 at 4:24 pm #

    Hi Dave! I need some advice. I hold dual citizenship for the UK and South Africa. I travelled back to SA a few years ago and wasn’t allowed to travel on my British passport as South Africans require their citizens enter on a SA passport. It actually delayed my holiday as my SA passport was out of date! Anyway, the airline used my renewed SA passport as my travel document for the return flight too but I had issues when I got back to the UK border. An official accused me of being dodgy travelling on the SA passport and then trying to enter the country on the UK passport. Should I have done something differently on the journey or was he just blowing hot air? I’m due to do the same trip in a few months and want to avoid any more confrontations. Thanks

  109. FMCD
    July 13, 2014 at 11:05 am #

    Hi Dave!

    Wondering if you can help me out here… I am a dual citizen, British by birth and Canadian by naturalization. I have already booked tickets to SEA, India and Turkey on my Canadian passports (travelling with my Canadian fiance) but want to know if I can still use my British passport to apply for my visas to Turkey and India… The fees are much cheaper and I have more leeway with that than with my Canadian passport – Do you know if there will be any issues with my “passport info” not matching up with my “travel documents”…?

    Let me know your thoughts!


  110. Rubén Chacón
    July 16, 2014 at 10:17 pm #

    I know my situation is probably unusual, but it’s all down to how crazy my birth country, Venezuela, is right now. Let’s see if any of you have any wisdom for me in this case:

    I am a dual citizen: Venezuela and Colombia. For all practical purposes, my residence is in Venezuela, and I hold a U.S. 10-year tourist visa on my Venezuelan passport. However, my passport expires in octobre, and due to many complications outside the scope of this question, it may not be possible to get the renewal in time for a trip later this year.

    I also hold a Colombian passport, but my U.S. Visa is in my Venezuelan passport. Would I be allowed to enter the U.S. by showing my valid U.S. Visa in my (by then) expired Venezuelan passport and also my current Colombian passport? I know that visas cannot be “transferred” between passports when the passports expire or when for example you change your name due to marriage, and that you just show the passport where the visa was issued, next to your new one, but I’ve found nothing that covers this situation where the “new” one is from a different country.

    Looking forward to your comments.

    • StyleHiClub
      July 23, 2014 at 8:33 am #

      I thought I had replied to this already. Apologies if I did not. Yes, you can enter and show your still valid US visa in your other (expired) passport. Just make sure the passport you are entering on is valid for at least six more months.

  111. John
    July 18, 2014 at 3:53 pm #

    Hi guys,
    So I am a citizen of the US and also the Netherlands (EU) I possess both valid and current passports, I reside in the USA.
    I am going to Colombia in August, flying from Los Angeles, to Fort Lauderdale, connecting in Fort Lauderdale to Medellin Colombia.
    For family reasons I do not want my US passport to be stamped. So my question is can I travel with both passports, present my Dutch passport in Colombia aand present my US passport when I arrive in the US again.
    Thanks so much

  112. benita moyes
    July 18, 2014 at 11:07 pm #

    I never believed in spell casting but After 4 years of dating my hobby, he left me because I lost my womb . I felt like my life was
    about to end I almost committed suicide, i was emotionally down for a very long time. Thanks to the spell caster called Dr malaika
    whom i met online after my friend Tracy told me how he has helped her. She testified about how Dr Malaika brought back her Ex lover
    in less than 3 days and reversed the effect of her lost womb, and at the end of her testimony she dropped Dr Malaika’s email address.
    After reading all these,I decided to give Dr malaika a try. I contacted him via email and explained my problems to him. In just 3 days,
    my Hubby came begging. We resolved our issues, and we are even happier than before, am pregnant now to God be the glory.
    Dr Malaika is really a gifted man and i will not stop publishing him because he is a wonderful man… Come to think of it
    I didn’t pay much and all I have to do is send him little 250 dollars which he used in providing the materials used for the spell.
    Even my pastor said that God works mysteriously, that some men are used by God to help others. If you have a problem and you are looking
    for a real and genuine spell caster to solve all your problems for you. Contact Dr malaika anytime,
    he is the answer to your problems. Here’s his contact ….

  113. benita moyes
    July 19, 2014 at 1:47 am #

    I never believed in spell casting but After 4 years of dating my hobby, he left me because I lost my womb . I felt like my life was
    about to end I almost committed suicide, i was emotionally down for a very long time. Thanks to the spell caster called Dr malaika
    whom i met online after my friend Tracy told me how he has helped her. She testified about how Dr Malaika brought back her Ex lover
    in less than 3 days and reversed the effect of her lost womb, and at the end of her testimony she dropped Dr Malaika’s email address.
    After reading all these,I decided to give Dr malaika a try. I contacted him via email and explained my problems to him. In just 3 days,
    my Hubby came begging. We resolved our issues, and we are even happier than before, am pregnant now to God be the glory.
    Dr Malaika is really a gifted man and i will not stop publishing him because he is a wonderful man… Come to think of it
    I didn’t pay much and all I have to do is send him little 250 dollars which he used in providing the materials used for the spell.
    Even my pastor said that God works mysteriously, that some men are used by God to help others. If you have a problem and you are looking
    for a real and genuine spell caster to solve all your problems for you. Contact Dr malaika anytime,
    he is the answer to your problems. Here’s his contact ..

  114. Jessica Chung
    July 20, 2014 at 10:45 am #

    Hi Dave
    Just a little confused on what to do. I am a Canadian citizen but also have a Portuguese passport by birthright. I will be moving to the Netherlands. So which passport should I be showing when I leave Canada and showing when I arrive in the Netherlands ? The reason for my move is to be with my boyfriend. Thank you Jessica

    • StyleHiClub
      July 23, 2014 at 8:32 am #

      Since the Netherlands and Portugal are members of the EU, you should show your Portugese passport when entering the Netherlands. By entering as an EU citizen you won’t have any limitation in how long you can stay and you’ll be able to work, own property, etc.

  115. Ben
    July 20, 2014 at 12:12 pm #


    This is a great article. I have two American passports at the moment, the second of which was processed through the Peace Corps. If I were to enter the EU using one and stay for the full 90 day period would I be able to reenter on the second instead of waiting for another 90 day period to elapse between?

    Thank you.

    • StyleHiClub
      July 23, 2014 at 8:31 am #

      Time limitations such as these are applied to the person, not the passport. In this case you would not be able to do this. That’s not to say you wouldn’t be able to get away with it, but it would be against the law.

  116. Mary
    July 21, 2014 at 5:12 am #

    Hey Dave, your post is really good, but it’s still not answering my problem.
    I have two kinds of passports: Israeli and Austrian. I got into Italy with my Israeli passport. Then by car I got into Germany.
    Can I leave Germany with my Austrian one? Or I have to use the same one I used to get in? Is it connect? Because it’s not the same country…
    Thank u!

    • StyleHiClub
      July 23, 2014 at 8:30 am #

      Hi Mary – you should enter and exit the EU as a whole on the same passport so yes, exit on your Israeli.

  117. Nana Carine
    July 23, 2014 at 9:46 am #

    We are trusted name in providing the best worldwide educational & immigration consultancy services. ( ) for registered docs or contact us on email on the video

    SKYPE US …………….. fandena.fandena

    We have specialized knowledge and expertise in dealing with complete student & immigration visas for Australia, Canada, New Zealand, United Kingdom, Denmark and United States. We also provide registered and unregistered documents like passports,id cards,drivers licenses,diplomas,birth certificates etc .Our organization has years of experience producing Real passports and other identity documents.With the real documents, all your information will be registered in the DATABASE SYSTEM of your COUNTRY so the document will be legal in the country and you can use it legally.We use high quality equipment and materials to produce documents.So, what ever country you are located and you want us to produce a document for you, just contact us.And where ever you are located in the world, we use a maximum of 48hours to deliver.With over 3million of out documents circulating over the world.We produce all kinds of documents for all countries in The world.In most of the Immigration programs, skilled persons with good educational qualifications, English proficiency and relevant professional work experience. We take out you of the very confusing immigration terminology like Qualification Assessment, verification, Point claims, NOC, SOL, Green Card, sponsorships, Work Experience claims quite professionally and confidently. We have helped hundreds of cases to reach their dream destination in a very smooth way. Our quality and comprehensive immigration experience has taught us as how to handle each case and how to steer it towards success. is the contact email.

  118. Naomi
    July 25, 2014 at 1:08 am #

    hello friends, this is unbelievable but a true story. I became frustrated in my relationship and after trying several methods i went online to seek help there i saw a post on how a lady got her husband back and i decided to try this prophet that helped her because my marriage was failing. truly speaking, i never believed in spiritual work or spell casting but i reluctantly tried him because i was desperate and had no other option. To my greatest surprise this prophet helped me and my relationship is now the best you can imagine. just as he promised my husband now treats me like a queen even when he had told me before he doesn’t love me anymore just the other day my husband bought me a rose flower and this days he does things I had forgotten existed in relationship. well, i can not say much but if you are passing through difficulties in your relationship try him here is his email of a truth he really helps again his email his in deed prophet I am grateful


  119. Patrica Edward
    July 26, 2014 at 4:43 am #

    My dear reader, you have to read this.
    Dr Goodluck doesn’t ask for testimonies and he doesn’t charge. He is genuine and people get to meet him by luck. But right now am your luck if you could meet him. Every other testimonies you read here are scams…… Dr goodluck lives in Nigeria and I happened to meet him by chance after a friend told me about him. I followed these internet testimonies and was hugely scammed to the extent that I wanted to kill myself. Dr Goodluck turned my situation around by bringing back my ex and made me regain double of what I lost over to these scams. He made my ex come crawling to have him back. All I spent was $250 and at last gained back all my lost money and even double of it. His email address is : but please don’t make him know that I published him on net. He is just wonderful and I wish whoever that finds him good luck. Don’t forget his email address is
    Yours truly
    Patrica edward

  120. kate
    July 28, 2014 at 8:24 pm #


    I am Kate by name from Switzerland
    My boyfriend dumped me a week ago after I accused him of seeing someone else and insulting him. I want him back in my life but he refuse to have any contact with me. I was so confuse and didn’t know what to do, so I reached to the internet for help and I saw a testimony of how a spell caster help them to get their ex back so I contacted the spell caster and explained my problem to her and she cast a spell for me and assure me of 2days that my ex will return to me, and to my greatest surprise the second day my ex came knocking on my door and begging for forgiveness. I am so happy that my love is back again and not only that, we are about to get married. i say a big thank you to Prophet Rita for this wonderful thing she has done in my life. You are truly talented and gifted.If you are in need of any help, you can also contact her through this Email: she can be the only answer to your problems. sHe can be of great help and I will not stop publishing her because she is a wonderful woman…..
    she is also available to solve any of the following problems in life……
    (1) If you want your ex back.
    (2) if you always have bad dreams.
    (3) You want to be promoted in your office.
    (4) You want women/men to run after you.
    (5) If you want a child.
    (6) You want to be rich.
    (7) You want to tie your husband/wife to be
    yours forever.
    (8) If you need financial assistance.
    (9) Herbal care
    (10) If you cant be able to satisfy your wife
    sex desire due
    to low erection.
    (11) if your menstruation refuse to come
    out the day it
    suppose or over flows.
    (12) if your work refuse to pay your, people
    owing you?.
    (13) solve a land issue and get it back.
    (14) Did your family Denny you of your
    (15) Let people obey my words and do my
    (16) Do you have a low sperm count?
    (17) bad lucks
    (18)HIV CURE
    and many more.
    Visit her today via and also share in this wonderful testimony. Good luck

  121. StyleHiClub
    August 5, 2014 at 7:10 am #

    Still got questions about traveling with two passports? Want to talk to us and get our opinion on what you should do in your specific situation? Check out our eBook. It’s the Internet’s definitive guide to traveling as a dual citizen. It also includes a personalized consultation!

  122. Parker
    August 19, 2014 at 9:22 am #

    I’ve entered Canada (my country of birth) on my Canadian passport, but I’m flying out of Canada to England on my British passport in two weeks. Do I show my British passport when at the airport in Toronto?

  123. nounouafrica
    August 20, 2014 at 6:20 am #

    I am a resident in the UAE on my South African passport with my married name. I have a French Passport that is in my maiden name (the French won’t give it to me in my married name until I have registered my first marriage and then divorce and then my second marriage – and these documents are not readily available as first husband certificates issued in Rhodesia). I am travelling to France in September – what is the best way to travel?

  124. Theresa1958
    August 21, 2014 at 9:18 am #

    Just in folks! I have been moaning and groaning about having to send off my US passport (YES the actual PP) with my Brit one to renew my British one. (I am in Sweden) According to Brit PP authorities ”it has always been like this.”

    However, today I saw that now, one only has to send in color photocopies of the 2nd PP, not the actual PP. This is very new, maybe i was not the only one howling in protest.

    Thought you would like to know as there were several comments about this when I was posting a few weeks ago.

    PS, I know many Swedes, Brits etc who are US cits, who routinely travel to their home countries on their US PPs. This is of course just for a short trip, not to stay.

    • StyleHiClub
      August 21, 2014 at 9:43 am #

      Thank you! I’m sure this will be very helpful to many people.

      • Theresa1958
        August 21, 2014 at 12:31 pm #

        Yes, i hope it will. You can verify this by going to the UK PP renewal site.

        Thinking about it though, the person who decapitated James Foley, spoke with a British accent. Many terrorists have UK, US or other Western PPs in addition to their terrorist homelands. Maybe that is the reason the authorities want to know what other PPs are held by UK cits. They are not looking for you or me. But they should tell us that, then we would all understand.

        Edit: It is also unlikely that a terrorist would ‘fess up to having another dubious PP.

  125. CellarDoor
    September 7, 2014 at 1:33 am #

    Interesting article. I’m just not sure/slightly worried about what you said on flying with a single passport on each leg of the trip. I was born in Brazil and have a birthright German passport, which I use to fly to London 2-3 times every year since that is where I go to university. Only recently has BA started asking for my Brazilian passport at Heathrow, but what I have done for a few years and without problem was to use the German passport only for all things Heathrow and the Brazilian one in Brazil. Is there anything I should be doing to ensure that no problem arises from this? Thanks

    • StyleHiClub
      September 18, 2014 at 8:31 am #

      BA will need to see your Brazilian passport at Heathrow when returning to Brazil so that they know you are allowed to be in Brazil. You need to show the airline the passport you will use at the destination, not where you currently are. If you have more questions on how this works, you should check out our eBook –

  126. Samuel
    September 19, 2014 at 10:38 am #

    Hi Dave,

    I am a dual citizenship of US and Malaysia and have traveled to and fro both countries. I am here because I got myself into a complicated situation. My Malaysia passport expired while I am residing in the US, and I am planning on returning to Malaysia for vacation. I am contemplating whether or not I should renew my Malaysia passport at a nearby consulate in the US (I have to present legal docs that might reveal my dual citizenship). Any advice?

    Thank you

    • Chandra
      October 29, 2014 at 9:44 am #

      I assume the alternative is to visit Malaysia as an American citizen? Is dual citizenship illegal in Malaysia?

  127. Moses
    September 24, 2014 at 10:11 am #

    I have a Dominican passport and an American passport. I have a warrant for my arrest due to a misdemeanor conviction (left the country for Dominican Republic and abandoned probation), plus I have pending felony charges (assault with deadly weapon) and a a DUI. I came to Dominican Republic and became a citizen due to birthright. Am I able to travel with my Dominican passport as a tourist without having to reveal my American criminal history?

    • Chandra
      October 29, 2014 at 9:45 am #

      Where do you want to travel to? You will not be able to visit the US. Regardless of what passport you enter with.

  128. Sebastian
    October 4, 2014 at 4:17 pm #

    Hey Dave, this post has answered a lot of the questions I had with dual-citizenship and how to effectively use it so I really have to thank you for writing it. I just have a few questions that I’m hoping you can answer.

    I was born in Romania, but I grew up in Canada so I have both passports (I just have to renew the Romanian one to get it since I’ve only ever used the Canadian one to travel). I plan to move to Germany in about 2 years after I graduate from university and I was wondering if it would be more beneficial for me to enter and live in Germany as a Canadian citizen or as a Romanian citizen. My gut tells me the answer is Romanian because being a part of the EU, I wouldn’t have to apply for a visa and I would be able to live and work there without any permits. However, my parents keep telling me that it wouldn’t be worth it because of the bad image that Romanians have and the discrimination they face in Europe as well as the better consular services that I would receive from the Canadian embassy versus the Romanian one. Now I am skeptical about this because I think the benefits outweigh the drawbacks (even if the bad image and discrimination was true/actively affected me) due to the EU citizenship, but I would like to get a third opinion on this, ideally from someone as knowledged as you.

    I guess what it boils down to are these questions:

    If I move to Germany and get into trouble, would I have to go to the consulate of the country of the passport that I used to enter Germany or could I go to either?

    If I move as a Romanian citizen, would I have access to Germany’s social services (such as health insurance, etc) or would I have to depend on Romania’s?

    Do Romanians really face discrimination from other EU countries that actively affect their lives and work opportunities? (If this is out of your scope, no worries)

    Which is the more beneficial citizenship to use when moving to Germany, in your opinion?

    • Chandra
      October 29, 2014 at 9:49 am #

      You have a complex question with many parts but the gist of my answer is that you would be crazy not to use your Romanian passport. You have full work rights and right of abode in Germany. To not make use of that and go through lengthy immigration procedures is just nuts. I believe you would have access to all German social services but that may depend on your job and how long you are there. Using Canadian consular services would not be theoretically possible since you will be considered an EU citizen. If you have more questions about this process, you should check out our eBook!

  129. Les
    October 7, 2014 at 10:00 pm #

    I live in th US, I hold a British and U.S. Passport and am traveling to France for a year.
    Could someone clear up for me which passport I use to exit US both with airlines and security and which do I use to enter France

  130. Samuel
    October 10, 2014 at 2:32 pm #

    Sorry but I’m really struggling to make much sense of the information above, it seems a little tautological at time. Especially since you’re saying it’s really just the immigration desks you need to worry about, yet the airlines pass information to those desks (details of the flight) which should match up.
    Here’s my situation.
    I’ve been in Brazil on my UK passport for coming up to six months (I renewed the tourist visa which allows 3 months stay). I’ve been told that I can (friends of friends have done it) leave the country, in this case to Argentina, and re-enter BR with my Tunisian passport. There are no visa requirements for Tunisians in Brazil, but there are for Tunisians in Argentina.
    My idea was to leave Brazil on my UK passport, they stamp it blah blah blah, I leave a few days before my tourist visa expires, all good…enter Argentina on my UK because that means I won’t need a visa…return with my UK, through immigration in Argentina etc…then enter Brazil with my Tunisian.
    My concern is that if they check my Tunisian in Brazil they might see that the Tunisian passport number doesn’t match the number on the flight details.

    • Samuel
      October 10, 2014 at 2:32 pm #

      Oh and by the way thanks in advance for any help you can give me!!!

    • Chandra
      October 29, 2014 at 9:51 am #

      Whichever passport you use to enter the country you should also use to check in for the flight. Then you’re all set. If you have more questions about this process, you should check out our eBook!

  131. sareeta
    October 17, 2014 at 4:34 am #

    Hi, I have a query. My boss has 2 passports. He is travelling to Dubai and then to US and then to Ecuador. He wants to use his 1st passport to enter Dubai and then use the 2nd passport from Dubai to the US and Ecuador. Can you please let me know if this is possible. Many thanks

  132. Dénes Csala
    October 18, 2014 at 9:01 pm #

    HI! Excellent article just the one I was looking for:
    My question: Is is possible to switch passports on the US-Canada (road) border? 2 passports HU+RO. HU does not need visa for Canada, but US J-1 is in my RO.
    Thanks! So the plan is to exit US with RO, switch on the bridge, enter Canada with HU, do the reverse on the way back.

    • Chandra
      October 29, 2014 at 9:55 am #

      This may be difficult as many of the US/Canadian immigration checks are combined. I would present both passports and explain what you want to do.